Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:15 PM
kybosh27

Default CAI Help

I was seriously looking into purchasing a CAI for my 05 GT and had a few questions. I was debating towards the C&L and JLT with custom tunes from Doug at Bamachips. I've been leaning more towards the JLT because it isn't as expensive as the C&L. Is there any real differences between the two? I emailed Doug but he hasn't got back to me. He seems like a busy guy. How much of a difference is there in the feel of the power after this mod? Can you tell the difference in sound? Right now I'm running Bassani axle-back exhaust with an off-road Pro Chamber. Does the exhaust note get louder and can you hear the sound of the intake? Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2006, 12:45 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI Help

ORIGINAL: kybosh27

I was seriously looking into purchasing a CAI for my 05 GT and had a few questions. I was debating towards the C&L and JLT with custom tunes from Doug at Bamachips. I've been leaning more towards the JLT because it isn't as expensive as the C&L. Is there any real differences between the two? I emailed Doug but he hasn't got back to me. He seems like a busy guy. How much of a difference is there in the feel of the power after this mod? Can you tell the difference in sound? Right now I'm running Bassani axle-back exhaust with an off-road Pro Chamber. Does the exhaust note get louder and can you hear the sound of the intake? Any help would be great. Thanks!
Well the JLT II gets a few more ponies than the C&L but it does not look as good as the C&L, you can get the JLT Painted the same color as your car and it's alot cheeper. As for the C&L, there are two types of C&L intakes, a) is Aluminum intake (street/strip) b) Plastic intake (Racer). I think the aluminum looks better and is recommended if you plan to get Nitrous, and there is a "heat soak issue" the Racer version gets better HP but does not look as nice. No sound difference that I could tell, and I do not think either will change the exhaust note. oh and Hell yea, you can feel the power.

I got the JLT II because of price.... I like It except it has a crappy Cold Air shield compaired to the C&L Box.

You may want to get a dyno tune in the future with all those mods you have, I just do not trust internet tunes when you have more than one mod on the car, just a thought....

C&L Intakes
JLT II Intakes

Old 04-14-2006, 01:26 PM
kybosh27

Sounds good. Thanks for all the great info! I think I will probably go with the JLT just because I can't justify paying an extra 200 for about the same performance. The only mods that I have right now are the exhaust, but I keep reading about how great a cai mod is so I'll probably join the club. Is it hard to install and upload the tunes?

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

ORIGINAL: kybosh27

Well the JLT II gets a few more ponies than the C&L but it does not look as good as the C&L, you can get the JLT Painted the same color as your car and it's alot cheeper. As for the C&L, there are two types of C&L intakes, a) is Aluminum intake (street/strip) b) Plastic intake (Racer). I think the aluminum looks better and is recommended if you plan to get Nitrous, and there is a "heat soak issue" the Racer version gets better HP but does not look as nice. No sound difference that I could tell, and I do not think either will change the exhaust note. oh and Hell yea, you can feel the power.

I got the JLT II because of price.... I like It except it has a crappy Cold Air shield compaired to the C&L Box.

You may want to get a dyno tune in the future with all those mods you have, I just do not trust internet tunes when you have more than one mod on the car, just a thought....

http://www.cnlperformance.com/05-06intro.html
https://www32.ssldomain.com/jlttruecoldair/products.php?make=Ford&model=Mustang%20GT&year=200 5-2006

Old 04-14-2006, 03:45 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

I agree. Canned tunes always seem to run rich. I gained 25+ horse over the 93 canned tune with a dyno tune andover 30 extra lbs of Tq. As for installing a CAI, piece of cake. Downloading a program is also a breeze.