Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

O/R h-pipe Install Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:30 PM
RemainVayne
1st Gear Member

Default O/R h-pipe Install Tips

I'm getting ready to install my O/R h-pipe tomorrow and was just wondering, for those of you that have already done this, if you guys have any tips or suggestions to make the install a little easier!

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: O/R h-pipe Install Tips

quick question to everyone... what the heck is "O/R"???
Old 04-14-2006, 07:48 PM
RemainVayne
1st Gear Member

It stands for "off-road", as in no catalytic converters.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Intrcepter

I have two words for you......AIR TOOLS! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 04-15-2006, 12:14 AM
RemainVayne
1st Gear Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan ybody else?
Old 04-15-2006, 09:24 AM
bkranz34
1st Gear Member

u don't need air tools, this is very easy. Its pretty straight forward, not much explaining to do, just unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one. Just make sure u have a LONG ratchet extension, or several ratchet extensions for the header bolts, and some WD40. I actually bent an extension trying to take those bolts off, they slide off like butter after being sprayed with WD. Just make sure u double check the bolts after the WD burns off. Let me know if u need any more info.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Cruehead
1st Gear Member

Here's a write up from one of the other forums I visit. It's a really easy install.

>>>
Make sure you fit everything together to check for defects or shipping damages. You will receive your H-Pipe in 2 pieces (driver side and passenger side). The "H" is the connection point. You will receive a clamp for the "H" and the pipes also have the make-shift flanges for the headers.

Tools Needed:

3/8" Drive Ratchet and extensions (a swivel extension will defiantly come in handy)
1/2" Drive Ratchet and extensions
15mm standard and deep sockets
7/8" open wrench
Floor Jack and Jack Stands or Lift

Installation:

I used a floor jack and jack stands from the front of the car. Obviously a lift would make it easier, but most people, including myself don't have access to one.

First you'll want to remove the o2 sensors from the factory pipe using your 7/8" open wrench. There are 2 on the passenger side and 1 on the driver side. Do Not over twist these wires. I secured mine in between the undercarriage and the metal "knuckle shredder". You'll see what I'm talking about.

Next is taking off the nuts up at the headers. There are 2 per side. This is where the swivel extension and 15mm deep socket come into play. You may want to use some WD-40 or some kind of lubricant to make it easier to break these nuts loose.

Then you'll want to slide down and take the 2 nuts off of each clamp holding the H-Pipe and the "over-axle" pipe together. You can use the 15mm standard socket for these. Slide the clamps down towards the rear end and your almost there.

Next you have to get the hangers out of the rubber brackets. Just pull those suckers out. It shouldn't take much effort, they just slide out. Be careful to not hit one of your o2 sensors while pulling the pipe out.

(Here is your chance to hear it with open headers!!!)

Then you grab the 2 pieces of your O/R Pipe and fit them together to the same size as stock. Which is pretty much all the way together. You should definately notice how much lighter they are than the stock pipe!!!

(Here is your chance to play the H-Pipe Trumpet to try to mimic the sound you're hoping for)

Now stop screwing around and get under the car with the O/R pipe!

Start off by tightening the clamp between the "H" with the 15mm standard socket on the 1/2" drive ratchet. Make sure that baby is tight!

Next you want to slide the hangers back through the rubber brackets. Again, be careful to not beak the o2 sensors! While sliding the hangers through the brackets, feed the pipes into the "over-axle" pipe. Slide the clamps back over the connection point and lightly tighten the nuts.

Now you'll need to slide the flanges from the front up towards and over the studs on the headers. Grab that trusty 15mm deep socket and your extension for these nuts. Tighten them down fairly secure. Make sure to tighten them down evenly.

Next you'll have to put the o2 sensors back in. You will want to twist them counter-clockwise enough so that when you tighten them down, the wires are not twisted. You'll see what I mean. Make sure they are nice and snug in there.

Finally you just want to tighten everything down and check for any alignment issues.

Now you are ready to fire her up for the first time!!!<<<
Old 04-15-2006, 10:08 PM
RemainVayne
1st Gear Member

I tried to do it today but just couldn't get the bolts off that are up by the manifolds. I sprayed it with a ton of WD40, but they just wouldn't budge at all. Any suggestions?
Old 04-15-2006, 11:01 PM
bkranz34
1st Gear Member

Not sure man, mine came loose pretty easily after I sprayed it with WD. They wouldn't budge before hand. Like I said I even bent an extension trying. Just keep workin them, they'll break loose eventually. Everything stock on this car was wrenched on by a gorilla.