Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

automatic trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 05:44 PM
tmac

Default automatic trans

My wife needs a new ride and I've just about got her talked into a new GT. We have narrowed it down to a GT or a Jeep wrangler, but I think a test drive will seal the deal. My only problem is that she wants an automatic because of the stop and go traffic on her way to work. Has anyone had any experience with the new transmissions? I drove a 91' 5.0 for a while and would never get a automatic myself, but that may be the only way I get her to drive the car I want. Does anyone know if the new autos have the shift on the fly technology, where you can have some of the benifits of a manual, or is that only in foriegn cars? Any reviews of the new automatic GT's? Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully they will help me with my con into talking her into a new GT. Thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 06:40 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: automatic trans

well....
I have owned both .. I used to have an auto mustang until i traded it in with the 5-spd stick... and the reason i did that is because i love manual transmition and there is nothing wrong with the auto's they are really nice and comfortable to drive... and yes it has that feeling when you step on it it pushs you back in the seat ... the only thing i didn't like about it is that it has a weak throttle response but thats not an impossible to fix problem .. a simple CAI ( cold air intake ) and a tunner will solve the problem and will give you power... i haven't tried it but im sure the friends with those mods will tell you how the diffrence is.

other than that my friend it's a great car to drive ....and BTW if your wife knows how to drive a 5-spd just tell her that the new clutchs are not hard to step on... they are so light... I got stuck in many traffic james for more than 30 or 40 mins ... and my legs didnt hurt me except a little bit which didnt even had an effect on my driving... and the stock shifter is also nice and easy to shift...

Old 04-17-2006, 07:02 PM
tmac

Thanks for the response. I havn't given up on a 5 speed, and she knows how to drive. We are going to test drive in the next to days so I'll break out my best sails pitch for the manual, but I'll be happy with any GT. She will start driving a lot more of the Avalanche when we get our GT. It's nice to have an old lady who wants 300+hp, I get to have a 4x4 and a Stang, best of both worlds.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:33 PM
lost in kuwait

i have an auto here in kuwait i love it in the traffic i would rather hve the 5 speed if i hit the back roads every day but you can have fun with the auto get you an sct x2 and start you tune with 15% on the trans opt yll be suprised at the diff mine is at 35% right now and you can have a lot of fun just turn the trac control off
Old 04-17-2006, 09:15 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

I have an automatic and absolutely love it. With the SCT2 you can tune the firmness of the shift and also adjust WOT shift points etc.

Getting mine custom tuned helped a lot as well as stepping up to a 3.73 rear instead of the stock 3.31.

She is quick off the line and shifts very nicely. On 2/3 - full throttle she'll bark the 1-2 shift every time!

If you want even more pep, turn off OD at the stoplight and then punch her when it turns green.

It is plenty quick enough with the automatic for me! It will be even quicker when I get my Saleen SC installed next week!

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 04-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

The "tiptronic" style "auto/manual" is not available in the new Mustang...had one in my Acura TL and never really cared for it personally.

I chose the auto in my GT for the simple fact that I drive ALOT...my job requires me to drive/talk on the phone (yes i have a handsfree car phone)/and even punch #'s into a calculator all while I'm driving, so quite simply, a manual would not have worked.

That being said...I LOVE the auto trans in this car, it shifts smooth and once you get a CAI and a performance tune (must have) the shifts at wide open throttle will amaze you...1-2 shift gets a good solid scratch and even the 3-4 shift chirps occasionally. Remember, this is only when you want it to shift that hard...when my wife drives the car she never goes WOT (so she says LOL) cuz she doesn't care for the firmer shifts.

All in all, this automatic performs exceptionally well...better than any other cars I've owned.

Have fun and good luck!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:53 PM
rw98
2nd Gear Member

hi, i have just test driven an 06 gt convert. the new trans. are very smooth ,the cars are very quick. if you buy a new one , for about $400.00 you can buy a hand held computer such as diablo , i would not recomend a hypertech(heard they are useless) i have only delt with the diablo and i love it, it gives you more hp and firmer shifts from your trans. the trans realy kicks you in the backside when you get on it. and the 05&06 3valveswill have a good hp increase and they will respond very well to the tuning of these little computers.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I love my auto. It did IMO seem soft between shifts when I first got the car. But I have done a great deal of tranny tuning with my X-cal and laptop and I feel like it's at a world class level now. I was able to drop my 60ft times from 2.1s to 1.8s by only doing tranny tuning. And dropped my 1/8th .2sec. I didn't change my light throttle settings much and just stiffened up shift firmness a little in part throttle so street manners are great. WOT is a whole 'nother story.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:40 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Ghost, do you just use the programs they have available for download on their website to tune your car? I've downloaded everyting they have on the site, just haven't had time to install them on my laptop and "play".
Old 04-18-2006, 04:49 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dkano

Ghost, do you just use the programs they have available for download on their website to tune your car? I've downloaded everyting they have on the site, just haven't had time to install them on my laptop and "play".
Yes, I got the programs from the SCT site. For me it is easier because I can see all parimeters at once compared to only line items on the X-calII display. The tranny schedules are set up in graphic overlay form so you can see how everthing relates to each other. And you can remove parameters if it is too busy for you.

Quick Reply: automatic trans