Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT Mods...any guess on RWHP !?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Billhyco

Default GT Mods...any guess on RWHP !?!?!?!

After about a year, finally decided to make some upgrades to the 05 stang, man trans, and want everyones opinion on some things. I know stock RWHP for a manual trans is around 255hp. Seen a lot of different numbers thrown out there but that seems to be a good average. Well right now the GT is stock bumper to bumper. however after this weekend, here is what she will have

BBK 65mm Throttle Body

Shaker Hood

Steeda Short Throw Shifter

Borla CatBack Exhaust

Proffesionally Tuned

Zex Nitrous Kit

and some other goodies ie: light bar, but not HP related. Anyhow...I have a peak RWHP in mind that I would like to reach but not sure its obtainable. So what are your thoughts??? What do you think RWHP will be???? 350??? 375??? 400??? +++??? oh and any tips, ideas would be helpful for more power or ease of installing all of this.

Bill
Old 04-19-2006, 03:19 PM
SmokeYoV8

Default RE: GT Mods...any guess!?!?!?!

with a 100 shot you should be close to 400 i guess
Old 04-19-2006, 03:33 PM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

well lets me see..
BBK throttle body - 0 gains and wacks out idle return
cat backs - 0 gains but sounds good
tune - maybe 25-35 HP gain definately good
shifter - that doesn't add HP but may look good- feel good
the bottle - well if you put in a 125 shot you should be 375-400 Hp probably!

I would just do the cat backs, tune and bottle then but that is me!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:05 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Go with a gear change.. 3.73's or 4.10's you will get off the line like nobody's business..
JMO and what I did.. worked for me..

Rex
Old 04-19-2006, 04:12 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

+1 Don't waste your money on the throttle body too many people have had problems with them. Go with the shifter to improve the feel but it's not going to build horsepower.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Billhyco

It is actually my friends car but I am just assisting in the purchasing ideas and mainly installs. We have touched on gear exchange some. I have been wondering what gears it comes with . However I have read 4:10 gears seems to be the way to go. Difficult to change???? I have rebuilt a couple rear ends however they were on older chevy model pick up trucks.

Explain the "wacked out idle return" b/c of the throttle body exchange. I can see how it possibly wouldnt' affect HP that much however it should increase slightly, and or torque increase as well. I have spoken with a couple guys that have went with bigger TB and reprogrammed with succesful HP results.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:21 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostPony

well lets me see..
BBK throttle body - 0 gains and wacks out idle return
cat backs - 0 gains but sounds good
tune - maybe 25-35 HP gain definately goodshifter - that doesn't add HP but may look good- feel good
the bottle - well if you put in a 125 shot you should be 375-400 Hp probably!

I would just do the cat backs, tune and bottle then but that is me!

you make me sad.... You guys give tunes too much credit. a good tune is will give much better results on a car with mods. the more bolt ons the more power out of the tune.

If you are going to tune a stock car, then lean the sucker waaaaaaaay out (but be careful and do it slowly in steps) the GTs run way too rich at WOT, and you loose lots of power from that. the canned tune from a xcal or predator wont do, cuz it adds more fuel to the table as well as advancing time. advance ur time some, and lean out and you will see some gains. also, get a high flow or o/r x pipe, and look into CAI. i would also do headers if you have the money and time, but at least do the CAI and xpipe, otherwise ur wasting time with tuning.

Go with a gear change.. 3.73's or 4.10's you will get off the line like nobody's business..

yeah! I know a guy who put 4.10s in his 05, ive only got the 3.73s, and his car is ridiculous off the line. I think i may swap out for some 4.10s some time soon, after i get some good DRs
Old 04-19-2006, 04:45 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Billhyco

It is actually my friends car but I am just assisting in the purchasing ideas and mainly installs. We have touched on gear exchange some. I have been wondering what gears it comes with . However I have read 4:10 gears seems to be the way to go. Difficult to change???? I have rebuilt a couple rear ends however they were on older chevy model pick up trucks.

Explain the "wacked out idle return" b/c of the throttle body exchange. I can see how it possibly wouldnt' affect HP that much however it should increase slightly, and or torque increase as well. I have spoken with a couple guys that have went with bigger TB and reprogrammed with succesful HP results.
If it's a manual trans - 3.55's are stock. For an auto they have 3.31's. Unless you are experienced with gears I would get a shop to do it, 8.8's can be difficult to setup.

Throttle body's have been known to throw all kinds of codes on '05+ Stangs and result in very little increase in power, they can also be difficult to tune. Have you talked with anyone that has an aftermarket throttle body on an '05? Previous years don't matter when talking about these cars, they are completely different. Search this and other boards, you will find that many people have ditched the aftermarket throttle bodies, no need to buy one new I am sure you can find a deal on a used one.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:54 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

ORIGINAL: Billhyco

If it's a manual trans - 3.55's are stock. For an auto they have 3.31's. Unless you are experienced with gears I would get a shop to do it, 8.8's can be difficult to setup.

Throttle body's have been known to throw all kinds of codes on '05+ Stangs and result in very little increase in power, they can also be difficult to tune. Have you talked with anyone that has an aftermarket throttle body on an '05? Previous years don't matter when talking about these cars, they are completely different. Search this and other boards, you will find that many people have ditched the aftermarket throttle bodies, no need to buy one new I am sure you can find a deal on a used one.
Yea, I will sell you a Motoblue CHEAP !!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Billhyco

actually talked to a guy at the big show in charlotte at the end of last year. he and his 05 mustange GT, was parked across from us and we got to talking a lot about it. he loves his, but he did his own programming. big plan is get all this done this weekend and in the extremely near future we are heading to eiither charlotte or howards in raleigh to have it proffesionally tuned and dyno'd. Howards ( i think that is the name) is a Mustang only shop. Seem to know there stuff. Hopefully with there help we can work any kinks out of the new TB.

How about the Shaker Hood, Intake???? Shouldn't that add some decent power. Gotta be better then a CAI.

Quick Reply: GT Mods...any guess on RWHP !?!?!?!