Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Granatelli coils and solid connectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:36 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default Granatelli coils and solid connectors

Okay, need some tech help -

I ordered the Granatelli coils and solid connectors for my car. Do these elliminate the need for a spark booster? I haven't done a spark-a-boost yet and was wondering if I won't need it now? I have had lost spark issues many times as I pushed the envelope in the tune and I'm thinking I won't need the spark-a-boost now with the coils and solid connectors - can anyone give me some feedback on this?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 04-23-2006, 09:18 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Granatelli coils and solid connectors

Mark, that's a great question, I'll try to help. It's tough to answer but this might help. The Granatelli coils are high performance coils and should be all you need. From what I know, they significantly increase the energy to the plugs but maintain the same spark duration. The KB Boost-a-Spark is meant to both increase the energy and the duration of the spark. Obviously the increased energy so the spark doesn't go out under higher boost. This helps run a decent gap on the plugs without losing spark. The extended duration allows the spark to continue over a longer rotation to ensure the mixture is completely burned. I've never combined these same products but I have used upgraded coil packs with a spark duration/energy enhancer, they complement each other. However, it may be overkill. -Joe
Old 04-23-2006, 10:21 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Granatelli coils and solid connectors

ORIGINAL: jbailer

Mark, that's a great question, I'll try to help. It's tough to answer but this might help. The Granatelli coils are high performance coils and should be all you need. From what I know, they significantly increase the energy to the plugs but maintain the same spark duration. The KB Boost-a-Spark is meant to both increase the energy and the duration of the spark. Obviously the increased energy so the spark doesn't go out under higher boost. This helps run a decent gap on the plugs without losing spark. The extended duration allows the spark to continue over a longer rotation to ensure the mixture is completely burned. I've never combined these same products but I have used upgraded coil packs with a spark duration/energy enhancer, they complement each other. However, it may be overkill. -Joe
Thanks, Joe. I got similiar info from other sources so I cancelled my order for the coils cause they are $650 and the KB boost-a-spark is $200. I'll get the same effect so I might as well save the $450.

Thanks again,

Mark