Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Dodge Charger in the parking Lot

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:21 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: New Dodge Charger in the parking Lot

I hate to interrupt you kiddies little pissing contest by actually addressing the original posters question, but I am going to do it anyway.

Yes, given both drivers have equal ability and a fair start, you should be able to beat him. When my car was NA trim I walked a couple of R/Ts. One guy was pretty cool about it and we both laughed afterward. The other so badly that the guy wouldn't even look my direction at the next light.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:01 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Let me revise this 2006GT, I was saying as you were comparing apples and oranges on the two cars against each other. You forgot to add that not only is it bigger but the price is more, so if you are that big on the luxury mods you could go ahead and dump around 8k in on your stangs interior. My point was that you say how is a family sedan car expected to be faster than a Mustang GT, but I say how do you expect people to even consider them close when the price tag is almost 10k apart, especially if you have a coupe GT.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:14 PM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

Let me revise this 2006GT, I was saying as you were comparing apples and oranges on the two cars against each other. You forgot to add that not only is it bigger but the price is more, so if you are that big on the luxury mods you could go ahead and dump around 8k in on your stangs interior. My point was that you say how is a family sedan car expected to be faster than a Mustang GT, but I say how do you expect people to even consider them close when the price tag is almost 10k apart, especially if you have a coupe GT.
That is exactly what I'm saying. It sounds like we agree, but are miscommunicating. I don't expect them to be compared fairly. Two different kinds of cars. Large 4-door sedan vs sporty coupe. I was just trying to soften the blow of the trash talking on the cars. People around here have been bagging them, but don't seem to know much about them beyond the name.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:05 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

I raced a Charger R/T the other day and smoked it no problems, to answer the original question asked.

I agree with the point that the Charger and the Mustang cannot be placed in the same class class car. One is a luxury 4-door sedan, the other is a 2-door American muscle car.

But, it appears the oringal posters was concerned mainly with speed, and the answer is simple: stock for stock the Mustang GT comes out ahead.

While I am not a fan of the new Chargers personally, they ARE a nice car. Very luxurious, and they will move quickly for a big, heavy vehicle.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:19 PM
averyr18
I ♥ Acer

His question was aswered a long time ago boys.

I broke it down very simply.....

2005 GT stock vs 2005 Charger R/T stock goes to the GT.
2005 GT stock vs 2005 Charger SRT8 stock goes to the Charger.

It can't get any more simple than that.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Blackness
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: averyr18

ORIGINAL: GGIII

The SRT-8 is a big, fat, pig. Truthful 0-60s on those cars are around 5.2.

With my mods, for about, what, 15k less, I smoke them. Repeatedly and easily.
Are you serious? Dude your on crack. The base model Hemi(350hp) does 0-60 5.7sec. The SRT8 Hemi(425hp) does it in 4.8.
Where did you get your dilusional specs from?

P.S stock Chager vs Stock GT- Goes to the GT easy. Stock charger SRT8 vs Stock GT goes to the Charger easy.

Lets not compare mods because anyone can make a beast pout of anything.
Everyone wants to compare their modded Gt against some stock vehicle and proclaim themselves the victor.
Its a new day Pony boys. Everyone is tuning their cars. May he who drops the most money into mods winnith.

1+
Old 04-27-2006, 06:44 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Not a fair comparison by far, as the new charger really isnt true to form.

And in truth, I have had the mustang GT for a week now, it is fast. But on the highway its cubic inch deficancy definatly begins to show. And I bet on the highway the numbers between an SRT8 and a mustang would be close. I am just used to bigger pushrod motors, not these little 4.6L over head cam things. And I now own one, so I can bash it a little. I would rather have a hemi or an LS7 over the ford motors. But ford is the only mark that got the packaging right. But I still say the mustang should have had an option for a 400hp 5.4L motor without a blower for another 5 grand.

I did take on an 05 or 06 charger daytona on the highway from about 60 to 130 mph. I was in my big block mopar though (but keep in mind it weights 4000lbs). But I would say for a large car, the new mopars are pretty quick.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:46 PM
averyr18
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: classj

Not a fair comparison by far, as the new charger really isnt true to form.

And in truth, I have had the mustang GT for a week now, it is fast. But on the highway its cubic inch deficancy definatly begins to show. And I bet on the highway the numbers between an SRT8 and a mustang would be close. I am just used to bigger pushrod motors, not these little 4.6L over head cam things. And I now own one, so I can bash it a little. I would rather have a hemi or an LS7 over the ford motors. But ford is the only mark that got the packaging right. But I still say the mustang should have had an option for a 400hp 5.4L motor without a blower for another 5 grand.

I did take on an 05 or 06 charger daytona on the highway from about 60 to 130 mph. I was in my big block mopar though (but keep in mind it weights 4000lbs). But I would say for a large car, the new mopars are pretty quick.
There is no replacement for displament when it comes to mid range torque.