Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Sound: X vs H with Cat ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:53 PM
peteway
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust Sound: X vs H with Cat ?

Hey Everyone,
My 06 gt is a daily driver for me so I have to keep it legal down here in Louisiana with Cat's but I have a question about sound. Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that the x pipe will give slightly better power but it sounds a little raspy, while the H pipe doesn't have as good of numbers but sounds better, as far a a deeper rumble...? right?

Well, I personally would like the better sound and am willing to loose a few ponies over the x pipe if that is the case. My question is this, with an aftermarket H pipe with high flow cat's increase performance numbers over the stock pipes as well as add sound? I have stock everything except intake (C&L with canned tune) and MAC axle backs. I would love to have something that is a direct bolt on to the stock headers.

Any thoughts?

Any suggestions on a good aftermarket H pipe with high flow cats? anyone with a similar setup?

Old 05-01-2006, 03:42 PM
ratzila
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Sound: X vs H with Cat ?

I first installed the SLP loudmouths with the stock h-pipe & converters. It sounded great. I was rearended and replaced the exhaust with the Pypes offroad X-pipe with the loudmouths. It was too loud & raspy. I then installed the SLP X-pipe with high flow converters and SLP loudmouths. It cut down a little on the raspy tune but it is still loud. I will go with SLP if they come out with an h-pipe that will replace the x-pipe.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: peteway

Hey Everyone,
My 06 gt is a daily driver for me so I have to keep it legal down here in Louisiana with Cat's but I have a question about sound. Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that the x pipe will give slightly better power but it sounds a little raspy, while the H pipe doesn't have as good of numbers but sounds better, as far a a deeper rumble...? right?

Well, I personally would like the better sound and am willing to loose a few ponies over the x pipe if that is the case. My question is this, with an aftermarket H pipe with high flow cat's increase performance numbers over the stock pipes as well as add sound? I have stock everything except intake (C&L with canned tune) and MAC axle backs. I would love to have something that is a direct bolt on to the stock headers.

Any thoughts?

Any suggestions on a good aftermarket H pipe with high flow cats? anyone with a similar setup?

Actually I've been told that X-pipes produce less power than the H-pipes(not enough backpressure?) but everyone selling X-pipes advertises a 8-12 HP advantage over H-pipes. But even if they do produce a tad more power I wouldn't trade it for the deep rumble of a H-pipe unless I was seriously on the track every weekend.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:39 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I dont know, looking at the stock system, it is rather well designed with good matirials and nice bends, an H pipe, etc. It doesent resonate badly, sounds nice, etc.

Mufflers would be the most I would do but only if you want it louder. Aftermarket cats are usually of lower quality, are less efficient, and dont last as long as stock.

All this talk about 5hp here and 8 hp there is really a little weird if you are into older 60's big blocks like I am. I mean since when is 8Hp for a 600 dollar part a good thing??

The variation from one stock GT to another is more than that I am sure. On a cold dense day you pick up more HP than that. To me, 20 hp is significant, anything less, and the upgrade isnt worth the money.

The exhaust is damn good on these cars, if you are hunting for power, IMO put the money elsewhere.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

If anything your not going to gain any hp with an axle-back setup. You'll only change the sound. If there is any hp difference it won't be noticeable. But you ask me I think the stock system too quiet but at least ford made it easy to change out everything short of the headers.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:16 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

I have an off-road X pipe setup on my 5.0 and love the sound. When people talk about the X setup being more "raspy" I cant really understand what they are talking about. I've never herd an H quite as much as ive herd my X. But if the X does sound more "raspy", couldnt you make up for that with the set of mufflers / cats or lack of cats that you get?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:32 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

from what i hear unless you run long tubes a catted x will only give 3-4 hp apposed to 8-10
Old 05-01-2006, 05:40 PM
peteway
2nd Gear Member

Just to clarify a little, I am more interested in a lounder sound that 3 or 4 more hp. But I just want louder since I love the sounds of the MAC's and I didn't want to take the chance of an x pipe messing with that sound...

Thanks for everyones input.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:56 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

offroad will definately be louder
Old 05-01-2006, 06:34 PM
peteway
2nd Gear Member

is there such a thing as off road h pipe with high flow cats?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Sound: X vs H with Cat ?