Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to beat a SRT-4 from a roll?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:41 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How to beat a SRT-4 from a roll?

I still dont believe we are discussing this whole import/4banger vs mustang stuff. Not trying to brag, just citing an example, I have pissed all over so many of these little rice rockets in the past few years while driving a modestly built 500hp big block musclecar that is only really a mid-13 second 4000 car with 2.71 gears and an automatic. Honda s2000's, evo's, wrx's, etc. From a roll, stop, 50 mph, 80mph, etc, etc. All these so called "hot" cars just dont have the low end snap, either that or every guy was a bad driver, but I am no wheres near perfect, so what then????. We will see how the mustang fares. I am guessing not quite as well as it is a bit lacking on the bottom end of the RPM range. But we will see.

I love running them from 20-30mph. Even easier to win and dont have to worry about tirespin.

Does it really matter though?? Who would want to drive one of those cars? If they like them, god bless them, to each his own. Like I have said before, if they made an import that ran 11's, cost 20 grand, and got 30mpg, but looked and sounded like the current breed, I wouldent want one.

Regarding modified cars, there will always be faster cars out there. I can probably put a scion or a saturn deep into the 12's with enough money, but who would want it, whats the point, and no matter what, it is still a saturn or whatever.

I wouldent even bother modifying my mustang for the purpose of chasing them. Now corvette chasing is a different story. At least that is something solid to aim for. Nothing more fun than pissing off corvette owners.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:04 AM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

So true... Let's go after the real bragging rights, beat a Chevy! now that's a challenge.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Remove_Before_Flight

Ha, a real good friend of mine has a SRT-4...me and him give all the import guys hell since me and him are really the only ones that drive domestics(worth mentioning) in our area. I mean, he is no ricer by anymeans...he's a mopar guy and I'm a ford racing guy and we like to brag that we drive domestics........on the other hand, I gt another good friend and he drives an 06 WRX STi.....we give him hell for the fun of it but know he can kill us....I'm waiting to put my mod's on before I really lay some rubber.....

Anyway...what I'm getting at i...can't we all live in harmony? J/K.....everyone except for ricers can live in harmony
Old 05-03-2006, 03:19 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Jeeze! I long for the days of Mustangs vs Grand Nationals (or when we were bored, Camaros)! [sm=smiley19.gif]

How many here old enough to remember?
Old 05-03-2006, 03:43 AM
Fly
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ratnacage

Jeeze! I long for the days of Mustangs vs Grand Nationals (or when we were bored, Camaros)! [sm=smiley19.gif]

How many here old enough to remember?
Dude, I remember when it was Mustangs vs VEGAs! It was like a bad dream...
Old 05-03-2006, 05:01 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Personally I'm aimin to beat exotics. But thats at least 15k away
Old 05-03-2006, 08:54 PM
05.5ACR

I doubt he upgraded his turbo. I own a '98 SVT Cobra (headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, T56 tranny, 4.10 gears and Nitto 555R 315 x 35R x 17) AND an '05 SRT4 ACR.

I'm boostin' 18 on a stock turbo w. Stage 1 and a Forge wastegate and every bolt on you can buy, including 3" exhaust from the turbo manifold back. She's puttin' down 300HP in a 2800LB car.

He wants to go from a roll because he doesn't know how to launch his car. You should have him on the launch (IF you can drive! No disrespect intended) through 2nd gear - as soon as he hits 3rd your done.

I raced a GT with headers, full exhaust and a 75 shot @ Fernley Speedway (N. Nevada). I outlaunched him and took him by 5 cars in the 1/4. BUT, I know how to drive my SRT. That was on street tires.

My SRT also owned an '06 C6 (400HP) 'vette at Top Gun Raceway in Fallon, NV. Go to www.dragtimes.com. Click on SRT4's and look at slip #26. That was against the 'vette.

My Cobra (I just bought her this past Sat.) is going to be my 9 sec. bitch this time next year. Right now, even with my Cobra's mods, my SRT will hand me my own ***.

That WILL change!

FYI - 3rd gear in the SRT is the MEANEST (50 MPH - 80MPH)! Get thole whole shot and keep it - once the SRT is spooling boost (2800 - 5500) you better have some ***** on your 'stang or a grip of cars between you.

Not tootin' my SRT's horn. Just trying to help those out that might race one. After all, I own one!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Slofoot

Install a Saleen Series VI twin screw supercharger. Game over!!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:01 PM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

I got an idea! Just say, screw the race and just be happy you have a sweet *** Mustang instead of a ghey ***, hyped up Neon.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:38 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Best post yet silver.

Not that I have anything against neons. Whatever floats your boat. But like I said, I wouldent own one if it cost next to nothing and was ZO6 fast.

Mustangs were never originally intended to be performance cars. Thats just what they evolved into because of demand. We should be happy they came this far from the 6 cyl or 289 2bbl, 4 wheel drum days. And ya know what, I would still take a nice 64.5 289 convertible over ANY str-4, or evo, or wrx, etc, etc. Regardless of what they can do.

In truth, I knew the new GT was better than past cars. But I had no idea that it was as good as it is until I drove mine for a few days. For the money spent, the car impresses the hell out of me whenever I get behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: How to beat a SRT-4 from a roll?