Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hey! Automatic trans drivers, ever get this insult?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
marguerite66
4th Gear Member

Default Hey! Automatic trans drivers, ever get this insult?

Looking a for a good comeback to this insult:

"Hey, love your new Mustang!..Awesome color..Must be fast!"
"thanks..yeah, its real fast"
"Is is a standard?"
"No, automatic"
"Ohh really.....Car like that should really have a standard" (meanwhile this person drives a pile of garbage)

Just got a new 2006 Mustang GT in the Legend Lime..Love the car, its fast and fun to drive. Its my 2nd Mustang GT and they have both been automatics. (I'm embarassed to admit I can't drive a Standard..I'm sure I could learn but I don't want to be bothered) I drive my car all the time in traffic and am usually messing with the radio controls. I'm sure standards are a lot more fun especially on long-winding roads with no one around. I don't dispute the point people are making but I'm real tired of getting this insult immediately following the compliment. It leaves me seething for hours.

Does anyone else get this? Looking for a good comeback that may calm my anger.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:47 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hey! Automatic trans drivers, ever get this insult?

Yeah, but usually from people so ignorant it's not worth your breath to explain the merits of today's computer comtrolled autos. I usually just smile and say, "Yeah, when you get yours come by and we'll compare notes!".....Loser (under breath).

[IMG]local://upfiles/16153/76BB9941A31B4F4EA0D1FAB333D48BDB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16153/7ADDA9F5598F464585FB710AC77162DC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16153/372341A2B1FC40A6AF7A9C4E70A6B410.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-03-2006, 02:03 PM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

I kinda think a sports car should be "stick" too.

I certainly won't go out of my way to insult an "auto'er", but .....well....I'll just digress.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:07 PM
06VERT4DE

Perhaps a response like "I haven't missed a gear yet off the line. Have you?" is in order here. My wife doesn't drive a stick and we get caught often in traffic near Washington, D.C. Besides, with a tuner and CAI, the shift of the auto is rather sweet!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Some of us didn't have the option to get "stick"

I picked up my auto from an auto auction for 23k. Came with my rims!

Most of the time I just reply, "Well, I'll tell you what, whenever you want to race your standard POS versus my little automatic GT, i'm game." Little does he know that i'm spraying.

~Fred
Old 05-03-2006, 02:10 PM
LL05GT
2nd Gear Member

Ppl are ignorant, thats justa how it goes. I get that all the time I usually just say something to the effect of how this new auto is a 5 speed instead of a 4 speed and that it shifts incredibly fast, especially with my SCT X-2 and 4:10's. I bark second and chirp third really hard all day in my auto.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marguerite66

Looking for a good comeback that may calm my anger.
How about...

"F%$# You pal, it's a daily driver" (then punch him in stomach, push him on the ground, and kick him a few times)

just kidding.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

just tell him its your daily driver...and "that's what my gt-500 back home is for"
Old 05-03-2006, 02:35 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Well, my mopar is an auto. I usually say that sure, it isnt an stick but it has the slapstick trans option and it is actually preferred at the track. And most mopars were autos.

As far as the mustang, unless a significant other is driving the car, or someone is disabled or has back/leg problems, I dont see an auto trans as the correct trans for the type of car and if it did not come availible with a stick I wouldent have bought one. But that is just my opinion. But it is a somewhat widespread one that alot of people are going to have. It is kind of like buying a porsche with an auto. BUT, the main thing is, it is your car, not theirs. There isnt much of a performance difference. It is a great automatic trans.

The "let me see your car" technique mentioned above I find always works best. Whenever someone is picking on my cars about something I usually say "so let me see your car". Then when they show me their beat up saturn or other ****box, I just say, thats nice.

As far as stickshift for daily use and in traffic. Not to nitpick or anything, but most people that have driven stick on a daily basis in the right kind of car never have issues with traffic, etc. It just becomes second nature and you really dont even have to think about it anymore. Kind of like steering and braking. People always say to me "how can you drive a stick in this area with all the traffic, dont you get tired of it?" I can always honestly answer no with no reservations.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear about people insulting your autotragic. Tell 'em you've got bad knees from years of football and strongman competitions.

Quick Reply: Hey! Automatic trans drivers, ever get this insult?