Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 Mustang GT wont break traction.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Erimikos

Default 2006 Mustang GT wont break traction.

I have always wanted a decent mustang... ever since I was about 8.. wanted one so bad I could taste it really...

Anyway, about a week I got my first mustang... a 2006 GT Coupe.

The car is an automatic, but even so, I would think that it would be able to break traction on the rear tires going straight forward from a dead stop on dry pavement... without break torquing.. but the car simply will not do it.. Its not a problem if its wet out..

The power is there, I can feel it at higher speeds.. and it seems that when taking off, it drops the power to a point where the tires will not spin as i take off, but once it gets rolling, it will take off pretty quickly...

This is with the traction control off.. It is really very disappointing that with the traction control off, the car wont spin the tires from a stand still on dry pavement... (Probably will if I brake torque it.. but I really dont think that should be necessarry with a car that powerful....

Something in the electronic throttle controls maybe? it seems like it wont apply full throttle from a stop, but does once it gets rolling a little. Car has about 500 miles on it now.. I would have actually only tried this once, but have tried it twice since the first time was not at all what I expected..

I really dont want to beat it up too much just yet... I want it to last awhile.

Am I missing something?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:06 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2006 Mustang GT wont break traction.

You're not missing anything. My car wouldn't do it stock either. Be happy w/the traction you're getting. Brake torque the thing if that's what you want.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:07 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

These cars hook up pretty well though, it is hard to get them to break traction by just flooring it.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:12 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

One word - turbo - your problem will be more than solved at just about any speed. My car can light the tires up at 80 with very little effort and that is with significant suspension mods just no sticky tires yet.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:19 PM
cableguymicah
3rd Gear Member

Well you do have 300 hp at the crank, but with lose of hp through the drive train, your probaly at 250 or less since your a auto. Which isnt that much power. JUST start modding and you'll get there.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:21 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

stock it wouldnt do it, but now i have no problem. i can even brake them from a slow roll
Old 05-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I have the GT convertible... and mine would not do it stock - - loading a can tune from my Diablo and it easily pop them loose from a standing start. If you get it Dyno Tuned – it will hard to take off without breaking them loose.

After Dyno Tune, mine even chirps them a little on 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd under FULL WOT.

The bad side to that is you have to be DAYUM CAREFUL in the rain.

Your car has the capability - - you just have to release some of those dormant ponies!
Old 05-03-2006, 05:20 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Hey PF, you got one of these yet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-FORD-MUSTAN...QQcmdZViewItem

it might look familiar!
Old 05-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Erimikos

Ok.. I definetally feel better about it knowing that I am not the only one experiencing that. Thanks alot for the responses guys.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:03 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Mine either and I hope my CAI and tune that I'm adding this weekend will change that. I forgot to ask Fred if it did away with the TC. I think I like turning it on and off. I'll see and post..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang GT wont break traction.