MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   5-speed AUTO - how is it? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/124625-5-speed-auto-how-is-it.html)

GM Supercar 05-06-2006 01:54 AM

5-speed AUTO - how is it?

I remember the 4-speed AOD being pretty lame years ago. How does the 5-speed auto compare to the manual in terms of performance these days?

Sleeper05 05-06-2006 02:04 AM

RE: 5-speed AUTO - how is it?

its geared slightly lower than the manual in the shorter gears, making up for drivetrain loss enough to be essentially just as fast as the manual. when driven to their peak potential, the manual edges it out performance wise, but the auto is no slouch like it used to kinda be!

Stang Skeleton 05-06-2006 04:57 AM

The manual has slightly better performance numbers, but not by much at all. The new 5 speed auto is great, especially with the OD. You can put in a higher ratio gear with the OD. The auto is great for drivability and comfort and with a tuner you can change shift points, shift firmness etc. They did a good job with it this time, especially since the auto and manual are both 5 speed anyway. If the manual was say a six speed, well then it would have an conceivable edge over the auto. But thats not the case

RStone13 05-06-2006 08:34 AM

I can't speak for the manual as I have the auto. CAI & tune from evolution.
Burns 1st, barks 2nd, chirps 3rd, Love it. Very fast.

chevykiller 05-06-2006 01:32 PM

I'm putting in a 4 speed AOD and I can assure you it is far from lame.

viking396 05-06-2006 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

I'm putting in a 4 speed AOD and I can assure you it is far from lame.
True dat, but in stock form in the Mustang GT it has sucked for years and has always been lacking and SLOW, GM kicked our collective butts in this department. Just because we can rip one apart and MAKE it perform, doesn't mean it's all that and a bag of chips out of the box.

johnnyv8 05-07-2006 01:36 AM

I just think stick shift is alot more fun to drive but i do not like the autos' for the new stangs. My brother has a auto v6 mustang(2005). It shifts real smooth; and upshifts nice. But it can not downshift!!! evertime i hit the gas allot; it ds one gear to low and then shifts again. So passing some one a joke because it takes so long to get in the correct gear. Or when i want it to ds one gear because i want to start acc normally to keep up w/ traffic and it ds two gears, it gets really lound because the rpm jumps to like 4 1/2. And i've driven alot of other autos to know this one cant downshift.

lost in kuwait 05-08-2006 02:29 AM

the new 5 speed is great for traffic areas my is tuned and i have it set at 35% i like racing the kids here they rev way to high drop the clutch a burn up the tires . i load up the car and launch it grabs hard barks 2nd ad will put you in your seat i was after the 5 speed i happy now they were sold out here.

jeff74mg 05-08-2006 11:42 AM

I just got an auto 06 GT and came from a 5 speed 4 cyclinder. The auto is very smooth in my opinion and at WOT it shifts much quicker than I am personally able to. My only gripe is that from a stop when you punch it the car seems to only allow some of the power to the wheels. I have read that this can be greatly improved with the tuner kits.

Andys06GT 05-08-2006 03:20 PM

the 5spd auto really doesnt get edged out to much. it has the 3.55 gears, which is nice for gas mileage, but leave the hard launches a little rough. try throwing a set of 3.90's in it. little more gettup for ya, but doesnt kill your mpg. 4.10's are great for n/a and an auto, but if you're planning on doing any tuning, you dont need to go that steep. it makes day to day traffic a lot louder. you really do need to pick up some sort of programmer to appreciate what the new 5spd autos can do. they're soft out of the box. but when they're on, man alive. its fun.