Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen Supercharger for my GT

Old 05-07-2006, 01:49 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen Supercharger for my GT

The upcoming magnacharger looks to be somewhat promising, as does the ford/whipple. The roushcharger has the warrentee but I am a bit leary about their install. (cutting alternator case, etc). The magnacharger looks like a very neat install. The saleen looks alot better though and still looks the trickest.

Looking at it from another angle. Which brand/style has the least blower whine and will go 100K+ miles without self destructing. I am sure the GT-500 engine is built to that level.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:54 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

Looking at it from another angle. Which brand/style has the least blower whine and will go 100K+ miles without self destructing. I am sure the GT-500 engine is built to that level.
Can't speak for any other s/c kits out there but my Saleen is super quiet. I can only hear it at certain rpm ranges with the radio off......and it's not really that noticeable even then. Third party observers have told me that they can't hear it at all from the outside of the car.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

ORIGINAL: jassem
according to the seller, no other upgrades are needed to have it install and the stock car can take it
This is technically an accurate statement. But I wouldn't push too hard on the tune with everything in stock trim. If you plan on utilizing what you are wanting to purchase, then plan on buying 39lb injectors and also consider changing out your MAF and sensor. Because around 420 or so hp you will start pegging out the stock sensor.
ORIGINAL: jassem
but doesn't someone agree with me that at least the headers/pipes should be upgraded to take the boost power out?
Not necessary. The stock exhaust flows remarkably well. Yes, you will see a performance gain from doing so, but it is not a "have to" thing.

ORIGINAL: Meangreen1200
As far as I have heard the Sallen SC do not push much over 400HP.
Hell, I guess I better detune mine then.
Yea, and that's with the tune from seleen out of the box and no other mods right?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:29 PM
kss3valve
1st Gear Member

Yes the Saleen tune is scary, but it is only written for hardly any boost. Like meangreen said, 39lbs, and a C&L is the way to go. I have them and am making 480+rwhp and 500+rwtq through a c-4 on a stock internal motor. The stock mainfolds are fine up to a cerain point, you really see a gain with headers if the heads have work done on them. If you upgrade i would suggest longtubes.

As far as mechanics are concerned, the Saleen kit is very easy to install as is complete. I just wish that they came with SVT Focus fuel pumps. That would be sweet.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:57 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Yea, and that's with the tune from seleen out of the box and no other mods right?
Sorry, I did not see anywhere in your original declaration of Saleens not making much more than 400hp anything that indicates you are referring to a stock Saleen tune or no mods.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:07 AM
jassem

thanks for all the advice and comments guys. i have forgotten to mention that my GT is an auto trans. would it still stand the power of a SC upgrade?!!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:21 AM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

I have the same question: I am thinking about going forced induction, but I would prefer my engine not suddenly develop side windows. As far as folks know, is there any one turbo/supercharger that are easier on the engine than others? (I.E. You can drive the car 100k miles WITHOUT blowing the engine.) I know, I know, I've always been told that if you force induce an engine, it's matter of "when" not "if', but I wondered if that still held true with the '05-'06 engine.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:52 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

Exactly. But Ford does it on the GT-500 without issue. Now, the GT-500 has forged internals and is built to withstand lots of boost with low compression, etc.

If you are greedy and try to make 500hp at the crank with a 4.6 and cast pistons/powdered rods. You are looking for trouble. Or so it would seem. Ford hasent officially stated any cap on the stock shortblock I think. Maybe the ford kit will be set for 475 and claim no trouble.

So OK, being this is my daily driver and I have other toys. If I supercharged I would be happy with 420-450 hp at the crank for that kind of money. But, the supercharger itself should be a production style unit that is built to last a long time just like a GT-500 supercharger.

I have heard that centrifigual style units like vortec are a bad idea for longevity. And obviously the less boost you run at the safer you are. I think I might going to wait till next spring. By then the kits should be really dialed in and figured out.

Things I wonder about:

Cooling system still adaqute? Clutch lifespan? Engine/supercharger lifespan? Blower whine? Winter drivability (starting, icing, etc)? I am sure all of these things were addressed on the GT-500. Bolting on a nice supercharger to a mustang could be a snowballing event.

It is really easy to ruin a well engineered car like the mustang with a not so well engineered part. I hope someone figures it all out though. As it sounds like a blast to have a low 12 second car with a 5-6 grand bolt on that is perfectly drivable and doesent kill durability or livability.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

Sorry, I did not see anywhere in your original declaration of Saleens not making much more than 400hp anything that indicates you are referring to a stock Saleen tune or no mods.
How about the begining of the thread where the guy asks if he needs any other upgrades with the Seleen SC? It looks like they keep them on the safe side around 400 HP. What you do with it after its put on is a whole nother ballgame!