Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Seeking that "classic V8 rumble of the 60's"

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 03:23 AM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Seeking that "classic V8 rumble of the 60's"

2006MustangGTNYC

that guy has cams BIG time in that car.. there is no other way to get around it to get that sound.. if you can make it without cams.. I think you would be a rich person as

EVERYONE would want those pipes.. but they aren't pipes .. that engine has had big work done to it... I seen a post on it somewhere.. it is like 600RWHP or something way up there (I forget)

you will just have to trust me and the others that agree about the cams...

Rex
Old 05-09-2006, 04:11 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

contact fred at evolution performance, i heard his 05gt and it's Awesome... sounds like the blast from the past your looking for...
Old 05-09-2006, 04:13 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Fly

ORIGINAL: Menace

I don't think one is limited to when they can put cams in. He doesn't need to get an aggressive cut such as race cams, but he could get a little milder cut to achieve the loping sound he wants, and it would give him some noticeable power as well. Naturally! So whether you're stock or a 10 second car... I don't think it would really matter?
Limited? no. You can cam up your mom's Buick Estate Wagon if all you're looking for is a thumpy idle (of which I'm very fond). My point was that the stock cam in these cars, coupled with the variable valve timing can run into the 11's or quicker without needing to be replaced with a hotter grind. From stock, the last place I would look for power in these cars would be new camshafts. However, if I was looking for a lopey idle, that would be the first place I would look. Still depends on if his definition of "rumble" is the lope of the cams, or the depth of the exhaust tone.
+1 - the experts agree that our stock cams are very good. I personally only upgraded the cams because I needed a much higher RPM for my centrifugal. Had I not needed to shift at 7000 + rpm, I would not have got the cams. You should all note too that the car in that video is Blow By Racing's car and they were one of the first guys to offer cams for our cars. They had a long and heated thread on other forums and the moral of the story was the cams really didn't give you any descent HP - just the 'rumble sound'. That is there car that they use to promote their cams. I do like the idle too, but as pointed out by others - camshafts is the only place to find that sound. Adding an H-pipe to your borlas will only amplify the sound you already have.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

I just wanted to be sure y'all saw this.

BTW, I believe the GTs have an H-pipe from the factory...at least mine does!
This thread mentions installing H-pipes, but why do that when you already have one?

What is the disadvantages to the one from the factory? I can see it and it is about 2" long at best.

Thx,

Mike
Old 05-09-2006, 11:13 AM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

Or something like this? Cobra with Cams - LINK

That is the sound I am looking for! It's that clapping, rumpy rumpty sound..

OK, so I am thoroughly convinced that it is cams that will do this. But at a cost of 1000+ for parts nad installation, I don't think it is worth my time or energy.