MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Seeking that "classic V8 rumble of the 60's" (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/125502-seeking-that-classic-v8-rumble-of-the-60s.html)

2006MustangGTNYC 05-08-2006 06:25 PM

Seeking that "classic V8 rumble of the 60's"

Hey all!

I absolutely LOVE the classic ruble of the 1960's mustangs. Right now, I have the Borla "catback" exhaust and it sounds amazing but I still what that classic rumble to be merged along with the borla sound.

Some say to install the H-PIPE and some say to install CAMS. Honestly, I'm still a n00b and don't know much about this.

What do you guys suggest? Here is a clip of the type of sound I am talking about. Mind you, this is probably more loud than I would like it to be but this is what I am looking for: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=mustang+2005

Thanks!!

Menace 05-08-2006 06:30 PM

RE: Seeking that "classic V8 rumble of the 60's"

I've told you this already. An h-pipe is only going to increase the sound of your exhaust, but it's not going to give you that "Rumble" you're looking for.

Cams are pretty much the only way you'll be able to reach that rumble, but other then that I heard if you retard your timing you can achieve the same results, but doing that isn't going to help you with performance... or help your car's health.

2006MustangGTNYC 05-08-2006 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Menace

I've told you this already. An h-pipe is only going to increase the sound of your exhaust, but it's not going to give you that "Rumble" you're looking for.

Cams are pretty much the only way you'll be able to reach that rumble, but other then that I heard if you retard your timing you can achieve the same results, but doing that isn't going to help you with performance... or help your car's health.

Thank you Mr. Expert. I am looking for others opinions too.

Isn't there another 7-page long debate you can start somewhere? lol

Menace 05-08-2006 07:07 PM

Haha, I'm not expert. I'm sure there are others with opinions, but I know to achieve that sound you will need cams... The sound you are hearing, the rumble, is just the difference in the valves opening and closing compared to stock.

1fast05GT 05-08-2006 07:10 PM

Cherry Bombs, glass-packs...LOL J/K

superiormirage 05-08-2006 08:13 PM

Cherry Bombs, glass-packs...LOL J/K
LOL! Good god, he said "rumble" not "set off all car alarms in a 2 mile radius"!

gregt909 05-08-2006 08:24 PM

I'm no expert but the car in the video sounds like it has a aggressive cam installed. It also sounds like it has a lot of valve noise under the hood. To me it doesn't sound too healthy for a street driver. Maybe at the track. JMO

talios 05-08-2006 08:37 PM

I agree with what Menace and gregt909 have already stated, the difference in engine sound on the car in the vid is via cams...and as menace said an h-pipe is just going to make your car that much more noisy. And personaly I wouldn't want to drive something with hot cams on the street, just makes you vibrate around like a mf'er everytime your sitting around idling waiting for the light to change.

If it's just sound your looking for I'd suggest SLP Loudmouths, nice rumble but won't get you pulled over by every cop in town (of course if you stuck on your h-pipe I'm sure that would change to "you will be getting pulled over by every cop in town", the reason my h-pipe is still sitting in it's box in my basement).

Menace 05-08-2006 09:00 PM

He knows the sound of SLP Loudmouths mated with an Off Road H-pipe all too well, since I had that setup and I still do. I just have Magnaflow resonators installed too now, and it is a lot deeper and not quite as loud... well... frankly... it's not loud at all anymore.

Fly 05-08-2006 09:46 PM

Define what you mean by "rumble". If you're talking about the thump, or loping sound that car is making, that comes from the camshafts. Also, the ticking noise is is the injectors, it's not valvetrain noise. I love the sound of a hard hitting cam as much as anybody, but with the valvetrain technology in these cars, you don't need anything more aggressive than stock before you're at least deep into the 11's.