Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Axel Back Ex. Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default RE: Axel Back Ex. Question.

Ps after the headers were put in.. do you have to do anything else to the car or is it set?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:40 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

One last question... would doing any of this stuff void my warranty on my 06 GT Mustang?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

haha another question... what about headers AND axel and cat backs?
could I get axel or cats then go back LATER and get headers too?
Sorry for all the q's Im new to this and want to make sure I get all the right info.
Thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Im not in Cali.. Im in Texas. West texas.. I think Ill go by the muffler shop here.. which my bud says does all ex. and ask them about it..
If I do get it done, it will be done in a shop so I guess the first step is to see if they would even do it.
My bro tried to get them to do something with his glass packs on his truck which was illegal and they wouldnt do it...
Look at what I wrote in my previous post. Technically, making ANY change to your car's exhaust system is illegal, according to the letter of the law. It doesn't really matter what you're changing, it just matters THAT YOU MADE A CHANGE--ANY CHANGE. Again, the only exception is a direct parts swap using CARB certified parts. You were asking around at a shop that wanted to cover their butt in the event of a problem. Practically speaking though, as long as you have mufflers and cats on your car, you won't have any legal grief.

If you are going to swap out your mufflers (axle-back), just do it yourself. It is very simple and take about 30 min. That way you have no hassles or expenses with the shop.

Ps after the headers were put in.. do you have to do anything else to the car or is it set?
You don't HAVE to do anything, but I would get the car tuned so that you can take the most advantage of your new mod and get the most HP.

One last question... would doing any of this stuff void my warranty on my 06 GT Mustang?
Oh boy, another can of worms. Just like the legality of the exhaust, TECHICALLY this could void your warranty. Theoretically, the dealer would have to prove that your mods caused whatever problems that you wanted to have fixed--which is very unlikely--but that doesn't mean they won't fight you or deny you warranty work. If your dealer is cool, you won't have any hassles. If your dealer is not so nice, expect some hassles. Some guys get the Ford dealer to install their mods, in which case that dealer usually honors the warranty with no BS. But really, nobody can answer this question 100%. The best advice I can give is that if you mod your car AT ALL (doesn't matter what) then you need to be prepared to fight for warranty work if you need it. It is a risk we take when we mod our cars.

haha another question... what about headers AND axel and cat backs?
What about them? You can do both if you want. The effect simply add together. So, if you do both the headers and the mufflers, your car will be making more HP (headers) and it will be louder (mufflers).

could I get axel or cats then go back LATER and get headers too?
Of course. It just depends on how much you want to spend. Usually, it's cheaper to do it all at once. That way you're not paying the mechanic to duplicate any of his work. How easy or difficult this would be also depends on exactly what brand of parts you buy. Some header kits are more complete than others. For example, the Hooker Super Comp headers are just the headers. You may need an exhaust shop to do some tubing fabrication to tie them into the remainder of your system. The Dynatech kit is a lot more expensive, but it directly bolts up to the OEM cat-back. It also includes all the gaskets, bolts, wiring harness extensions, etc--so there are no additional parts or fabrication needed. You are paying extra for convenience in that case.