Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New to this forum! Got 06' gt mustang, NEED Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Crayzieap

Default New to this forum! Got 06' gt mustang, NEED Help!

Hey, I am new to this forum. Just convinced my pops to get the 2006 gt coupe premium in satin silver. But I have a few questions:

First is I was wondering how much (or how extensive) is the job would be to covert an automatic transmission back to a manual one? The reason is after I am done with college (hopefully in 2-3 years), I told my dad I would buy the car off of him. That means I would like to convert it back to a manual. Just wondering what the head up costs are... thanks

Second, what are some of the modifications you would start adding to a stock car. Remember, it can range from anything from general improvements to the car looks or performance.

Thanks for your times. Can't wait to see some of the bad **** mods you guys have already done.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New to this forum! Got 06' gt mustang, NEED Help!

I don't think your going to "convert" the tranny to a manual. I think you have to put a completely new tranny on.

First mods? I think if you ask yourself what you want out of the car, that is a good place to start. If you are looking to bump up the performance, alot of folks go with a CAI and a handheld tuner as a first mod. Very easy to install and use. If your looking for sound, the axelbacks are easy to replace. For looks? There are a couple chin spoilers out, as well as a variety of different spoilers. There are also several body kits. You can get new wheels and rubber to go with, as well as lowering springs. Tint is pretty popular as well.

Really, just do some research and I think you will find a flavor you like...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:44 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

It would be cost prohibitive to swap an existing automatic for a manual in one of these cars. My guess is it would require the body control module and engine computer to be replaced, parts of the wiring harness would probably need to be replaced, interior shifter bezel, obviously the transmission, clutch, flywheel, pedal assembly and shifter would be required.

No one that I know of has attempted this yet, most likely it would cost more than it is worth and if you can't do the work you might as well double the price.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:50 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Sell it and buy what you want would be the best thing to do. That way it will look good and work right and be factory..
Old 05-09-2006, 01:38 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Or change the rear end gears and give the auto trans a try.. they are not that bad...

some of the road races even buy the auto trans cars just for that reason..

Rex