Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

good cheap headers

Old 05-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Vidgomd
2nd Gear Member

Default good cheap headers

will headers help me at all.. sound power anything?>?

also what about the ford racing ones they seem to be fairly priced.. but what the diff between them and other ones..

i dont want to spend a million dollars on headers but i dont want to buy crap either?
a check my sig to see what i already have as exhaust.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: good cheap headers

The only real gains you will see from header's are the Long tubes. Ford racing headers are what we call "shorty" headers, and not much different from our stock headers. Long tubes take a little more work, and cost more, but are worth the price.

I'd go with Hooker Super comp headers. You're probably looking at roughly $700... and then if you can install them yourself, great, but if not then you're looking at installation fees. Also, some modification might be needed on your pipes.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:33 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I'm feeling a bit like a broken record here...

Headers DO NOT change your sound very much. Headers make HP. Shorty headers, such as the Ford ones, make 3-5 HP. Long-tube headers, such as the Hooker Super Comps (and others) make a lot more: 20-30 HP.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:56 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

BBK now has out equal tube length shorty headers, look like spagetti due to one tube on each side has to be really long to get the pulses to match. But they are a direct bolt in. And I think to claim 20-30 hp from long tubes is pushing it. Maybe 10, our cars flow VERY well stock. Alternative Auto has Dyno numbers on there website that show a 10hp gain after installing an ENTIRE custom exhaust, and then only in the highest RPM.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

yeah i talked to lidio about that test before i bought mine. the problem was he used the el-cheapo MAC stuff. their l/t headers are actually a mid length header. the headers also have a different type of collector similar to the stock connection. i saw another test with the mac headers and it was the same results about 10hp max. the hookers and jba headers will gain 20+ hp and same in torque mostly down low in the rpms where it's needed.
as far as sound i have hookers and off road h/pipe with stock mufflers and i think it sounds bad ***. not so loud it's annoying but loud and deep enough to let others know you aren't playing around. and no drone.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:08 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The new BBK shortys are nice, but they are still too short IMHO.

They might be smooth, but they lack the tuning of a long tube header. Longtube headers are tuned for a much broader powerband. As spyder said, real longtubes will help make power a lot lower in the RPM band. This is because a longtube header will have a much lower resonance characteristic. This is the same reason why the really LONG pipes on a pipe organ play the low notes. A shorty header is simply not as good as a longtube.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

if you are looking for a cheaper set of headers hooker has a off brand but i can't remember the name right now. i saw them in the jegs or summit catalog for about $300-400 coated. they are supposed to be the same header as the super comps.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:38 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I mentioned the BBK headers because he allready has the pypes X-pipe. I'm guessing he needed something that would work with what he has on the car now. I think the BBK's are one of the better shorties out there. If long tubes are a must then i would spend my money on JBA followed by Hooker.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

The best headers out right now seem to be Dynatech, Kooks, and JBA. I hadn't heard much about hooker until this post but the one I metioned earlier all retail anywhere from $800-$1200. I personally would rather spend the extra money on high quality well fitting leak free headers. Most long tubes will give similar gains.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:43 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

I mentioned the BBK headers because he allready has the pypes X-pipe. I'm guessing he needed something that would work with what he has on the car now. I think the BBK's are one of the better shorties out there. If long tubes are a must then i would spend my money on JBA followed by Hooker.
I just had the BBK shorties installed on top of the previous catted xpipe and Mac axleback. Sound changed (less high frequency, more low frequency), cabin noise was reduced, and I'd swear there is more midrange power.

I have a Diablosport tune right now, but will be switching to xcal and getting a custom tune in a month or so. I'll see if there were any direct gains in any of the rpm range...

John