Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help With Stripes.. Painted, Vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default Help With Stripes.. Painted, Vinyl?

Hrm I think I might try some painted stripes on the black 06 GT perhaps.
A color not seen to often on stripes like the Redfire. I have black and red interior.
How do you guys think that would look?

How much is it to paint stripes anyhow?
I heard they look alot better than the vinyl stickers. Is this true?
Also dont have to worry about the wear and tear of the stickers. But then again you can always take stickers off. But Ive never seen redfire for sale for vinyl before so I dunno how id get em... Anyone ?

Prices on paint, quality between choice, redfire available on sticker stripes... so many questions. hhheeeeoooooolp!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:28 PM
kahunaman2

Default RE: Help With Stripes.. Painted, Vinyl?

Seems like a local body shop would be the best place to go the get a better idea- differnt places, different prices. I have gotten quotes of 800.00 to 1500.00- and thats at a reputable shop that does AWESOME WORK- Go with the painted as the vinyl ALWAYS gets inperfections and doesnt look that great- just go and see one at the dealer and you see all the crap under the vinyl-
Old 05-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

IF I go to a local shop wont it void the warranty on my paint?
Would the dealer paint it for me? The way I want? I dont want the way the vinyl on dealers dont go all the way to the front and rear bumpers.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:49 PM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

Just paint the stripes. Why worry about paint warranty? You will be repainting 50% or more of the car to do the stripes.
If you paint them they have to clearcoat the front end, hood, roof, decklid and backend. So you will have all new clearcoat on those panels, and factory warranty would not apply to them. The bodyshop should warranty their work though. The doors, fenders and quarters should still be warrantied by Ford.
If you can get a bodyman to do all that work for 800.00 then you are doing good.
Prices run 1500-3000 depending on whre and how much work.
I had custom colors and pearls done on my stripes. More labor and more materials = more money.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Someone told me painting your car lowers the value on it.
Is this true?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:25 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I'm definitely planning on painting mine if I decide to go that route. But I know not everyone can afford the labor costs associated with painted stripes.........so it all boils down to how much of a hit in your pocketbook you can afford. If you can afford it......I say paint them. Alot less hassles down the road if you do. Just make damn sure of your color choices before you do it. If you're really indecisive about these things, or are prone to changing your mind alot.....DON'T paint the stripes. Just go with the vinyl.

And not painting your stripes because of concerns over paint warranty is dumb. The warranty only covers paint defects. If your car's paint finish doesn't currently have any defects that you wish to correct, then your warranty won't do anything for you in the future anyway as far as your paint is concerned. Future damage to your paint finish is not covered by the warranty.

As far as painting your car lowering the value........umm, huh? Your car is going to be worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. And things like Blue Book Values only measure the quality of your paint finish.........not whether it's the factory paint or not.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Maalox

I would say painting stripes is like any modification you make to your car. I don't think it will lower the value of the car but:

You will not recover the full cost of the mod
You will have a more limited pool of buyers when it comes time to sell the car

However, the most important thing is that you will enjoy the satisfaction of having a car that fits your taste not Detroit's