Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

One more question about painting stripes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default One more question about painting stripes

Someone told me that if you paint your car no matter full paint or stripes that it will lower the value of your car. Is this true?
Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 PM
kahunaman2

Default RE: One more question about painting stripes

I doubt it- if you get a crap paint job then maybe but on a stang you going to get the best- I am not a stripe guy but they look cool and racey- otherwise your doing a repaint or a stripe job to make the car look better, the way you want- this car wont be a classic for years so have fun with it- never buy a car for an investment- its all downhill once you drive off the lot!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:47 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

A high quality paint and clear job with or without stripes will increase the value. In 25 years if you want it back to bone stock it will need repainting anyway. I've had a couple offers that are way above what I paid for the car plus my cost of custom paint. ...and I'm not interested (partly because I have my own fabrication time into this). So a quality repaint or custom paint scheme will increase the value. Keyword is "quality".
Old 05-12-2006, 04:50 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

If you trade your car in the dealer will look for everything he can to lowball your trade in value. I once had a truck with a $4500 custom paint job on it that I mostly put in shows, and occasional cruise. It had many trophies that went with it. I was intrested in another project and took it to the dealer to see what i could get. I was told that since it was repainted that i could not prove it had not been wrecked. They were "willing" to give me $2000 under book for it. In any other situation a GOOD paint job will in no way hurt the value, and in most cases will increase it. The average person will jump at a "better than it came" vehicle.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

So If I do trade it in it will lower the value correct?
Old 05-12-2006, 04:57 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

A car is only worth what someone else will actually pay for it. If I was looking to buy a used Mustang GT, I would be looking for one that is completely stock. If I see a lot of speed parts or cosmetic add ons, I'm thinking that the current owner was hot ******* the car around. I have added a few mods, but I plan to keep my car. If you plan on keeping your car, mod it out to your heart's content. If you are planning on trading in in a few years, keep in mind that a lot of people equate mods with abuse, rather it is true or not.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

PS if i go with vinyl am I looking at damage to the stripes in a couple of years..
And fading issues?
Old 05-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

yes...you are
Old 05-12-2006, 06:03 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iluvmycar

So If I do trade it in it will lower the value correct?
Do you mean after you put stripes on it..??? I don't think so.. JMO..

but if I was getting stripes I would have them painted and not vinyl ..

also
your car is losing money as we speak because the 07's are about to come out..
just enjoy what you have.. unless you can buy a new one every year.. or every 3 years..

again JMO

Rex
Old 05-12-2006, 06:39 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Agreed. Paint is an easy return to stock (I didn't say cheap). Consider any mod you do as to what it would take to return to stock. You may think my welding in of the GT emblem holes, decklid holes, antenna holes was a drastic thing to do. Quite the contrary, I can redrill these holes (kept "hole pattern sheets") and easily put all these items back in a Saturday morning. Now a simple Ducktail (I believe CDC) requires (10) holes drilled in your decklid and qtr panels. THAT'S a big hit and will take some doing to return to stock after that mod. Just something to think about. Even though I'm careful about the commitment I'm making with any mods I really just plan to enjoy the car and keep it for a long time. ...but ya know when somethin else comes out that ya just gotta have... ...well how much garage space you got?

Quick Reply: One more question about painting stripes