Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Opinion... Hood Pins or Hood Pin Look Alikes? Questions Too.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:15 AM
4.6L Shadow

Default RE: Opinion... Hood Pins or Hood Pin Look Alikes? Questions Too.

hey i'm not trying to start anything but when i'm goin 115+ mph i can and my passengers can visually see my hood flexing and vibrating b/c of the wind....

and i've been in my buddy's integra goin down tha interstate at 90 mph, hood all the way down and everything, and it flew up and crushed the windhield.

scary s***.
i'm definatly gettin real ones.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:08 AM
skinjob
1st Gear Member

Not to single you out or anything but really... how many ricers have fake hood pins on their car? I don't think I've ever seen a rice rocket with real hood pins let alone fake ones. How is it that every time someone here hears about something they don't like on cars, they say "oh that's so rice". Can we get a definition of rice off of wikipedia or something so this stops?.. I think I'm going to start using this term in day to day life.. "Yea that war in Iraq is so ricey.."

-J

ORIGINAL: mongrull006

3. i would NEVER put the fake mess on my car, why put fake hood pins on a car? that screams rice. JMO

Ty
Old 11-18-2006, 12:16 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Hey everyone. I want pins on my hood and have been debating the drill ins or the look alike 3M tape ones.
I have a few reasons for the dispute.

1. When I do trade my car in.. I want to get the most for it.. will a moded hood get me less? Can I mess up the paint if drilling ?

2. If I put on the 3M tape ones.. will they take the paint off If I ever take them off? Is there a chance they could rip off accidently or by somoene just wanting to vandalize my car and then screw up the paint if ripped?

Im sure sometime I will trade the car in in years to come. But I want to make it my own car at the same time and hood pins I love.. I just wanna know your opinions and get some answers on the tech side.
Thanks ahead of time!
Opinions will vary but:

#1 You should never trade in your car, why? you should get wayyy more from a privet sale than a dealer trade in.
#2 Doubt the stick ons will take off your paint but I wont say its impossible. I agree with the other guy that the color could be off a bit, sorta like having a car bra on all the time; when you remove it the paint "can" be off from the rest of the car. Yes they can rip off by accident, people have posted similar with tape on side scoops coming off on the highway. Most times I feel proper pre work before install will prevent this. And a big yesss if someone wants to rip that off, your spoiler, side scoops, window louvers, stick on stripes it CAN BE DONE WITH EASE. All it takes is a jerk and the chane/timming to do it.

I understand how you feel about making the car your own, its lika a signature; everyone has one but none are the same. I will probably get hood pins one day, if so I will get the drilled ones just because I like them but would have no problem with one who has stick ons. A thought about warranty and such, maybe you could get Ford to install the real ones? I have not searched but it may be an option from them. Worth a few minutes to call and check I guess.

Good luck what ever you do..

skinjob---Good points. i personally have never liked when anyone calls anything for our cars Rice. I thought by definition a Mustang cant be Rice because its a real out the door mussel car? I understand if people dont like something we do to our cars but I have always felt if you dont like it just say its not for me or something? I have seen some guys here totally say some really over the top things about someones car that they really like and just wanted to share. Not to bash anyone, just my .02 Besides can you imagine if we all had to like the same thing there would be a million indentical Mustangs? Color, wheels, power etc. There would no longer be a need to do any mod because everything would be the same. Ok, rant over lol
Old 11-18-2006, 12:54 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I do agree with you. The simpler, the cleaner the lines of this car are. Why keep adding all this stuff on. The car doesn't need hood pins. Doesn't need a spoiler. Too much stuff being added. My favorites are the clean stock looking bodies w/o stripes, just painted mirrors. Prefer clean over clutter and some folks are overdoing it IMO.

Minus: lower grill, antenna, GT emblems, decklid emblem, decklid lock. Stuff I don't need or want; can add back for someone else!

All that said: to each their own; that's partly the fun of this car!!
[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/0BA8F63211604373817307CC9C8D8163.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/EA14FDBE04DA400787DCDE425CB9B869.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/B0A199EE75E14824AD69348D1A51B76F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/B32FD0FEE1A14871967D1C94F616B95A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-19-2006, 04:10 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

I think half you guys have lost your minds and have more $ than sense. I just got my GT a week ago and there is not a single thing I would want to change about her. It's the most beautiful car I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of performance enhancements, but all this spoiler and hood pin and mirror color and stripes and chrome tail light trim.... It boggles my mind!

But I guess that's why we're here, right?
I wonder- Have you gone over 90 mph yet? Lots of us get a scary amount of hood shake when going that speed or greater and would like a bit of security. Especially when we saw the boy racer GT Mustang lost its hood in a race!
Or others are just going for a retro look and want removable hood pins, so they don't lower the resale value of their Mustang.
As far as non-performance mods- it has to do with resale value. Look at how much a totally modded used Mustang sells for vs. a stock Mustang. I'd rather buy a used Mustang with visual mods over one with a CAI, new gears, lowered, etc.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:42 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Orion_240----Question, is one year (say 05) more prone to hood shake than others? I ask because I have heard people say they have hood shake problems and I was just wondering why some do and some don't? I have had my car up to 132mph and the entire car (hood included) was very calm smooth and quiet. (except for the scream from the pipes and the wind rushing by) It seemed no different than going 55mph??

It got me thinking that maybe the cars with the shake/rattle problem are all certain cars made by certain dates? Or that maybe there is a defect with those cars that Ford should look at to see if something needs to be corrected/adjusted?

Seems strange to me that some have this problem and others don't with the same stock hood. Its gotta be a problem some place.

What ya think?
Old 11-19-2006, 11:01 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mongrull006

it wont void the warrenty unless the holes cause the damage. for instance, you drill the holes and 6 mos later find clearcoat comming off by the washer nozzles, there is no way that your hood pins caused this.

EVEN IF IT DID it would only be the hood
Yea thats is the nice thing they can only void it (if at all) on the area that the new part affects. Now me I am doing functional hood pins because I have a Cervini's hood but in all honesty with a factory hood I would not do either, if it is after market I would recommend them. If your choice is to add the regardless do the real thing, cost is about the same and drilling the holes is not hard just take your time and go easy.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:03 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/0BA8F63211604373817307CC9C8D8163.jpg[/IMG]
I love the flames man, so old school and SSSWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT

T wonder- Have you gone over 90 mph yet? Lots of us get a scary amount of hood shake when going that speed or greater and would like a bit of security. Especially when we saw the boy racer GT Mustang lost its hood in a race!
Or others are just going for a retro look and want removable hood pins, so they don't lower the resale value of their Mustang.
As far as non-performance mods- it has to do with resale value. Look at how much a totally modded used Mustang sells for vs. a stock Mustang. I'd rather buy a used Mustang with visual mods over one with a CAI, new gears, lowered, etc.
On my factory hood I had NONE at all and had the car around 130 as well a few times, now on my Cervini's (as some can admit to hearing my complaining) dose once I hit about 90mph, and really the problem with any fiberglass hood is that the bolts that hold the hood latch can strip out easier than on a steel or aluminum hood, and I have seen latches just rip off and the hood go flying.

I may be wrong but I thought the latch stayed intact on the Boy Racer car that had the hood come up, because I remeber thinking the only way it could happen like that was to not shut the hood all the way (maybe it was another car I dunno) anyway, you shurly need pins on an aftermarket fiberglas or carbon fiber hood.