Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need a NEW REAR END, opinions?

Old 05-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

Default Need a NEW REAR END, opinions?

My rear is shot, and has been for quite some time while i've been more-or-less babying it. any time i let off the gas it vibrates like the frame it being ripped apart and makes horrible noises (at least above 80mph...below that it just makes noticeably disturbing sounds). I already replaced the diff/gears/bearings/etc back in august when it went completely out and was just sliding back and forth, fu(king up the speed sensors and and grinding the right brake disc on the caliper. i am scared of this happening again, or of it locking up on me while im driving, and need a new rear end.

i have essentially two choices:
1) get a "stock" rear end from the junk yard or dismantler, and swap it in to replace the one i have, or

2) buy a new one, and have it be built to handle the power and a lot of track abuse.

for option two, i am leaning towards a moser 8.8 with detroit locker and possibly going with 31 spline axles. i need opinions from people who have experience with this kind of setup, though. will it still be able to go around twisties fast (i like to drive canyon roads down in LA during the school year)? what kind of pricing am i looking at (i can get it installed for a good rate at a decent shop, but i would like to keep total price under 2k if possible)? where should i get the parts from? should i buy all the components seperate, or buy it as a built unit with axles?
i will have a 4.30 ring and pinion installed to keep my current gearing of course, and i want it to be able to handle 4k rpm launches at the track with ease, but keep daily driveability.

thanks, and PMs are WELCOME,
Geoff
Old 05-22-2006, 08:17 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Need a NEW REAR END, opinions?

The stock rear-end is an 8.8 with 32 spline. I'm shocked if you have broken it twice. I (and many others) push more power than you and have had no problems. Now the differential and posi unit are a different story. I blew out my posi twice and went with an eaton and have had no problems. The auborn is good too. When you say 'above 80 mph' - that really has me leaning towards a problem with the driveshaft. Could be just your posi blew out and your driveshaft twisted in the process. Get it up on a lift and a simple check is to turn one tire. If the other tire doesn't turn with it = broken posi.

If your rear was really shot I would think you would feel it all ALL MPH, not just above 80. Sounds like a driveshaft issue to me this time.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

well it makes sense, and that is what i've been hoping for. however, the problem last time was that the bearings spun in their housings and milled it out a couple thousandths, so the new bearings had less of a press-fit, but still within tolerances. we were warned that it might not last forever, but at the time it was sooooo much cheaper than a new rear housing. the symptoms at this time become more and more like what happened back in august, but aren't nearly at bad yet.

i blame my aggressive powershifting for the original break, and i hope its a driveshaft/diff thing because i can just simply upgrade to better .

still, if it does require a new rear, what are my best options? im not too familiar with this aspect of the car
Old 05-23-2006, 03:21 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Aggressive shifts combined with 4.30's are definitely hard on your car...lol! Fun though

If you do end up having to get a new rear, I'd just go 9" and forget about it.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:19 AM
WildRed
2nd Gear Member

winters 9 inch aluminum center section with 3 inch axel tubes.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:05 PM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

hey chevykiller......are you sure its 32 spline? Ive heard of 28 spline and 31 spline (which is what I ran in my LX coupe) but 32 spline is odd sounding......
ORIGINAL: chevykiller

The stock rear-end is an 8.8 with 32 spline. I'm shocked if you have broken it twice. I (and many others) push more power than you and have had no problems. Now the differential and posi unit are a different story. I blew out my posi twice and went with an eaton and have had no problems. The auborn is good too. When you say 'above 80 mph' - that really has me leaning towards a problem with the driveshaft. Could be just your posi blew out and your driveshaft twisted in the process. Get it up on a lift and a simple check is to turn one tire. If the other tire doesn't turn with it = broken posi.

If your rear was really shot I would think you would feel it all ALL MPH, not just above 80. Sounds like a driveshaft issue to me this time.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WildRed

winters 9 inch aluminum center section with 3 inch axel tubes.
pricing? where to buy?

i like how only one person voted anything but "how the hell did you break it twice" lol
Old 05-27-2006, 05:25 AM
WildRed
2nd Gear Member

moser makes a bolt in 9 inch with 3 inch tubeshttp://www.moserengineering.com/Page...stomalloy.html i dint see the part number for the 05/06 but its a very new part. the 2004 cost 895.00 with axels. the center section frpp (made by winter i think) aluminum part # m 4141 d 499.00.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:26 AM
WildRed
2nd Gear Member

also ck here for a complete center section built to your specs. http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...-aluminum.html
Old 05-27-2006, 01:21 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

i second the notion of putting a 9" in it. not only does moser have one but i believe currie ent. also has one now for the 05-up stangs. from what i read they both will accept stock brakes and suspension hardware but no way in hell will you break that 9" as long as it has decent stuff in it. that what we have run in all our drag cars from 7second dragsters to11second doorslammers for years. rarely do we ever have a problem and....no freaking noise either! i'm not screwing with that POS 8.8 anymore. one more issue and i'll have a 9" in mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a NEW REAR END, opinions?