Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I wimped out on racing a vette.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:00 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I wimped out on racing a vette.

Racing at speed... We are not only handicapped by lower displacement and HP, but we are a refrigerator going down the road compared to a Vette. Aerodynamics are not the Mustangs forte.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:50 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

We are heavier and challenged by 100hp. ON the street in real life it would be close if you are a good driver. But they are quick.

New vettes are fast but I drove two since they came out and I wasent blown away. I drove a neighbors a year or so ago. Then I was looking at them when I got the mustang last month and drove one at a dealer. In truth, the mustang was more fun. Made more right noises and just felt right. In the vette, I couldent stop thinking, for this money the interior should be nicer, etc.

And yes, the vette was faster than the mustang, but driving them both back to back it wasent a world of difference, and I know the mustang can be a vette killer with a SC and some other work.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:23 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

F*** it, there are a lot of fast Vettes out there but you can give him a good run for his money. From time to time I get some attitude from some car on the road, like a Porsche or a Corvette or something, and I'm able to take him because he doesn't want to push his expensive car too hard so he tries to run me in high gear.

We saw a phenomenon which we suspect was attributed to this effect (which I call the "pu**y-a** loser bi*ch" effect) at the track one night, causing a Gallardo to run in the mid 14s -low 15s. It was pretty sad.

Not that you should ever sweat losing to someone in a more expensive car. Not that you should ever sweat losing in general. It's not like a loss will bring dishonor upon the heads of your offspring or anything. There are plenty of good reasons not to run a race, safety being the primary reason, not feeling like racing being perfectly acceptable, but never for fear of losing. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:23 PM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

We are heavier and challenged by 100hp. ON the street in real life it would be close if you are a good driver. But they are quick.

New vettes are fast but I drove two since they came out and I wasent blown away. I drove a neighbors a year or so ago. Then I was looking at them when I got the mustang last month and drove one at a dealer. In truth, the mustang was more fun. Made more right noises and just felt right. In the vette, I couldent stop thinking, for this money the interior should be nicer, etc.

And yes, the vette was faster than the mustang, but driving them both back to back it wasent a world of difference, and I know the mustang can be a vette killer with a SC and some other work.
"I'm able to take him because he doesn't want to push his expensive car too hard so he tries to run me in high gear"

Who have you been racing? Most guys like myself don't bother racing mustangs. Whats the point? If its stock, its an worthless kill. The problem is, on the street you never know whos modded. So people assume your stock. You my have a Vette killer inside but on the outside it looks like a non challenge. So guys in Vettes and Porsches say why waste the gas.

P.S I would abuse you in any gear.

Once gain we are comparing Modded vehicles to stock. It never has nor will it ever make sense to me.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrRogers

"I'm able to take him because he doesn't want to push his expensive car too hard so he tries to run me in high gear"

Who have you been racing? Most guys like myself don't bother racing mustangs. Whats the point? If its stock, its an worthless kill. The problem is, on the street you never know whos modded. So people assume your stock. You my have a Vette killer inside but on the outside it looks like a non challenge. So guys in Vettes and Porsches say why waste the gas.

Once gain we are comparing Modded vehicles to stock. It never has nor will it ever make sense to me.

i enjoy running faster/more expensive cars all the time because i have none of that fear of losing. if i lose, wow i just proved the obvious. if we tie, it a fun rush and i get complements on keeping up. if i win, which happens a surprising amount of the time it seems, its a total adrenaline rush and morale booster. esp considering that the majority of times i just go out for a drive looking to run with people is when im bored or depressed and trying to get other **** off my mind, its a load of fun to feel like im legitimately competing with a car that *should* kill me. this mainly goes for SS/vette/cobra/ws6/911/etc, of which i don't nec have the highest winning percentage around, but i hold my own quite well. i know my car very well, and even 100hp won't always or even quite often make up for not knowing your car against me (in general, not directed at you mr rogers, lol).
Old 05-23-2006, 08:46 PM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

i enjoy running faster/more expensive cars all the time because i have none of that fear of losing. if i lose, wow i just proved the obvious. if we tie, it a fun rush and i get complements on keeping up. if i win, which happens a surprising amount of the time it seems, its a total adrenaline rush and morale booster. esp considering that the majority of times i just go out for a drive looking to run with people is when im bored or depressed and trying to get other **** off my mind, its a load of fun to feel like im legitimately competing with a car that *should* kill me. this mainly goes for SS/vette/cobra/ws6/911/etc, of which i don't nec have the highest winning percentage around, but i hold my own quite well. i know my car very well, and even 100hp won't always or even quite often make up for not knowing your car against me (in general, not directed at you mr rogers, lol).
You still forgot to tell me how you managed to beat a C5 z06 and tie with a C6. That just doesn't make sense to me because the C5 z06 is so much faster. I tested a MT C6 and then I tested and 03 z06.(same day/bought the z06) There is a huge difference between them! Even when the C6 is equiped with the z51 package the z takes the cake. If you truly tied with a C6 then I know for a fact that a C5 z06 or C6 z06 would own you.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:18 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

please search old street/strip threads for details. the consensus is that is never happened...so i must have imagined it
Old 05-24-2006, 02:54 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

please search old street/strip threads for details. the consensus is that is never happened...so i must have imagined it
You beat a couple of C5's may be possible though I doubt it but beat a C5 Z even with 360+rwhp won't help you. The 405hp LS6 is underated like the new one.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:58 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

You beat a couple of C5's may be possible though I doubt it but beat a C5 Z even with 360+rwhp won't help you. The 405hp LS6 is underated like the new one.
ill put money on killing a stock c5-non-Z. pm me if you want me to go into detail about particular races cuz it clutters the forums
Old 05-24-2006, 03:23 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

ill put money on killing a stock c5-non-Z. pm me if you want me to go into detail about particular races cuz it clutters the forums
"ive beaten c5 vettes a couple times, even a z06. i tied with a c6 (regular vette) also"

Did you or did you not say this?

Quick Reply: I wimped out on racing a vette.