Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A few newbie questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 07:17 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Default A few newbie questions.

New to the forums, less than a week new to the car. I spent a little time hitting up the search feature and didn't really find any quick/easy answers, so I'll just ask.

What does it typically run for a good stripe job on the '06? I was thinking dual black...

What are thoughts on breaking the car in before flooring it everywhere I go? I've been taking it easy on the romp sessions considering I'm only at 120 miles...

Is modding right off the bat a smart thing to do? Is Ford **** about warranty issues with regards to upgrades should there be a problem with the car? If it's not a big deal, I'm starting off light anyways. I've read a bit in the forums and seems like an exhaust wouldn't be all that beneficial (except I'd want an axle-back for the roar), but I was thinking about a CAI and maybe a tune to start things off. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:29 AM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: A few newbie questions.

vinyl stripe kits are about $300... you can even get one directly from Ford. Just make sure you have someone install it who has some experience...

If you paint on the stripes it will probably cost you $1500 or so if you go to a good shop....

As far as warranty goes, pretty much everything and anything that you do will void your warrenty.... if you are gonna take the car back in for warranty repairs, return the car back to stock... but, I assume that if you were really worried about voiding the warranty on a car, you probably would have not bought a mustang gt... i dont know anyone who can leave their car alone.

as you noted the exhaust does not do too much except change the sound. I am still planning on putting a Borla on my car in the next few months....
Old 05-24-2006, 04:11 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: teksp0rt

vinyl stripe kits are about $300... you can even get one directly from Ford. Just make sure you have someone install it who has some experience...

If you paint on the stripes it will probably cost you $1500 or so if you go to a good shop....

As far as warranty goes, pretty much everything and anything that you do will void your warrenty.... if you are gonna take the car back in for warranty repairs, return the car back to stock... but, I assume that if you were really worried about voiding the warranty on a car, you probably would have not bought a mustang gt... i dont know anyone who can leave their car alone.

as you noted the exhaust does not do too much except change the sound. I am still planning on putting a Borla on my car in the next few months....
tek, your comments about voiding the warranty are untrue. If you're going to post please make sure you have your facts straight. Adding aftermarket parts will only void your warranty if that part caused the problem and the shop can prove it. There is a law for this. Now, that doesn't mean that you can do anything you want to the car and it will be a cake walk getting warranty work done but us modders do have rights!

Furious, a CAI and tune is a great start. As far as exhaust you won't notice much except the sound. The stock system is a free flowing system and tuned pretty well. The sound is not bad for factory. However adding a set of axle backs will really make it sound nice. I believe the book on the 06 GT's says the break in period is about 2k miles.

Oh and welcome to the forums!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:44 AM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info, good stuff! I'll look more at the stickies for recommended brands for exhaust, intake, and tuning. So even headers won't really help it breathe more provided you have an intake and tune done?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:29 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

Shockme76 is right, there is a law on the books that says the for the warrenty to be voided, it has to be proven that your mod caused the problem. That being said, there have been many stories here on the forums about dealerships getting very **** about repairing 'stangs with aftermarket parts. I think what tek was trying to say is "be carefull". Talk to your dealer's service center! Tell them what you plan on doing, and ask if they would have a problem with warrenty work. I did that with my dealer, and they told me what they would, and wouldn't, void my warrenty with them.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:44 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Vinyl stripe kits can be had for $100 plus shipping from one of the sponsers of this site, Baltimore Street Mods. They use the same quality 3M material the dealers use and the stripes are already precut ready to go on. I'm not saying it's easy to install them yourself. I made some mistakes but the way I look at it is, even if you totally trashed the first set, you could still turn around and order an entire NEW set and still be $100 ahead of paying what the dealer would have charged just for materials, nevermind labor. Check out this link http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/
I bought my set from them on eBay. I did screw up a few things from trying to install them in cold weather. Luckily, I had plenty of extra striping left over from the roof section that I didn't use because I have a convertible.
My long term plan is to have stripes painted on because it lasts longer and looks much nicer. For now, I took the cheap route figuring I can just tear them off when I'm ready. They will actually protect the paint from the sun and small stones getting kicked up in the meantime.