Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5.4 SOHC...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 02:21 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 5.4 SOHC...

Someone has a FORD GT block they sell thats aluminum. I can't remember who. That would be interesting.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

why don you guys build up your stock motors until they go, THEN worry about this nonsense? 400rwhp/400rwtq is well within reach without stroking, blowing, juicing, or swapping the motor
Old 06-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Oh hell..

Stop wasting your time... just buy one of these sweet 625HP ready to go engines from Ford Racing...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9287

Drop that puppy in... then add a supercharger GO GO GO!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Somebody explain to me what is exactly a stroker engine?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:03 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

A "stroker" is an engine that has been modified to have a longer stroke. In other words, the offset between the centerline of the crankshaft and the rod journals is longer, so that the pistons travel further in the block. This increases displacement. More cubic inches= more power.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Shadowfax

I'm not an expert by any means but their is one thing I do know, weight is the enamy to any performance car. I have been trying to decide on a new car purchase. The two cars I have looked at are the GTO 400/400 6.0L and the Mustang GT. The Mustang well just has the best look of the two, a ton of suspension mods available. To date not much other then bolt on's and tuning for the 4.6L 261 C.I. 300/320 engine.

I bring this up because while shopping I stopped to look at a GTO at one of the local cadilac dealer's that also sells Pontiac. I came across a young kid trying to make a living from selling cars. I was amazed at what he showed me. Caday's with 4.4L and 4.6L supercharged engine's producing from 445 HP to 469 Hp. These kinda number's from small block engines have to give you a better power to weight ratio.

So my question is what do you feel is the advantage of putting a larger 5.4L engine that weigh's more and then modding the HELL out of it when the 4.6L with forged internals a mild cam upgrade with a good S/C with intercooler should be able to produce from 450-500 HP and like Tq and weight less and still be reliable DD. You wont run into all the problems mentioned above ie intake, exhaust and the like.

Something in the back of my mind tells me the 4.6L modded the right way in the Mustang wich by the way weigh's less the the GTO.
curb weight on the GTO I thinK is 3800lb and the Mustang is around 3500 would make a better all around performance car. Just my 0.02

Old 06-02-2006, 01:49 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shadowfax

I'm not an expert by any means but their is one thing I do know, weight is the enamy to any performance car. I have been trying to decide on a new car purchase. The two cars I have looked at are the GTO 400/400 6.0L and the Mustang GT. The Mustang well just has the best look of the two, a ton of suspension mods available. To date not much other then bolt on's and tuning for the 4.6L 261 C.I. 300/320 engine.

I bring this up because while shopping I stopped to look at a GTO at one of the local cadilac dealer's that also sells Pontiac. I came across a young kid trying to make a living from selling cars. I was amazed at what he showed me. Caday's with 4.4L and 4.6L supercharged engine's producing from 445 HP to 469 Hp. These kinda number's from small block engines have to give you a better power to weight ratio.

So my question is what do you feel is the advantage of putting a larger 5.4L engine that weigh's more and then modding the HELL out of it when the 4.6L with forged internals a mild cam upgrade with a good S/C with intercooler should be able to produce from 450-500 HP and like Tq and weight less and still be reliable DD. You wont run into all the problems mentioned above ie intake, exhaust and the like.

Something in the back of my mind tells me the 4.6L modded the right way in the Mustang wich by the way weigh's less the the GTO.
curb weight on the GTO I thinK is 3800lb and the Mustang is around 3500 would make a better all around performance car. Just my 0.02

Well when I first started this thread I was under the impression that the new 5.4 3v had aluminum blocks too. But after a little research i found out that was incorrect. But my theory was this if u have a motor A(281 C.I.) making lets say 281 hp thats translates into 1 HP per 1 C.I......So if u simple increase the displacement to say 331C.I (motor B) that is an increase of 50 C.I. and 50 HP figuratively speaking...Thats where i got the idea, oh and the fact that next stroker kit closest to the 5.4 3V is a big bore 5.2L kit made by Sean Hyland Motorsports.

You can forge a 5.4L u would probably have to have someone make u custom pistons, i dont know if the rods are the same as the 4.6 but u might be able to have someone make those too...I think the crank(5.4) is already forged.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:14 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

weather or not to swap engines or build a stroker is all personal preference as with adding nitrous or a s/c-turbo. my reason for wanting to use the 5.4L engine is that i want to stay N/A. i do bracket race and N/A engines are way more consistant than any type of power adder.
as far as internals go i think the 04-up 3V 5.4's have steel cranks. the navigator definitly does and those cranks are about $400 new. rods are readily available and pistons are also although if going to a flat top piston fly cutting for valve clearance is required. there are also stroker kits for the 5.4 which will allow you to build an engine up to about 370cid when using the big bore sleeves or around 350cid with stock bore. the 5.4 block weighs about 90-100 lbs more but thats nothing compared to the potential hp gain when building a good engine with higher compression, head porting and big camshafts. i suspect 450-475hp and same in torque should be within reach N/A. i just have to get the wife to agree i need a new engine.
there is no replacement for displacement.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:07 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

a 302 stroker kit (which I have) puts you at 5.2 liters. There is a 5.4 built motor w/forged bottom end already available for our cars through JDM, not sure on price, have to call them.

The only downside to the stroker kits right now is they have not been out long enough for any real evidence supporting the argument that the stroker kits cause ring faliure after 12000 miles. Some say yes, some say no, and only time will know who is right. I think with the proper balance, the stroker kits are just fine and that's the way I went' Once you stroke, forget about any class racing cause you're disqualified so like Ron said, if you want to be N/A - I would not stroke the motor. There are so many of us out now with built motors, there is a wealth of info out there if you look for it.

Bottom line is what is your budget? It has been proved now that we can do everything from 11 sec to 8 sec cars, so you should decide first how much money you want to spend and that is what is going to dictate what you do - NOT what you want.

If you are unsure, PM me what you what you have to spend, and I'll tell you what your options are. There's no sense looking into built motors with forced induction if you have 10K to play with. It won't happen and you'll end up having a half an engine or drained bank account in the process. Once you commit to a definite dollar amount, then you should research what are the best choices for that dollar amount. Don't waste your time worrying about built engines with a 3K budget.

No matter anyone tells you, it is not cheap to make/handle serious power in these cars. If you try to skimp, you'll join the ever-growing list of guys who have blown up their car and end up spending WAY MORE money than they planned. I don't want to BS anyone so if you don't have at least 20K to invest in your car, forget about trying get the 600+ HP you're hearing and reading about us guys making. You have to pay to play...period.

Mark

Old 06-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Shadowfax

For the kinda car I would like 600Hp is over kill. I'm not a real 1/4 mile guy I like canyon carving and auto/x a little. I just learned here on this thread that the 4.6L 3v engine in the stang has an aluminum block and there is a 5.2 stoker kit. Guys I can see a sweet little and lite engine for the GT.

My ideal set up would be 450HP and atleast 400ft lb trq that would come on in the 3k-6krpm range so I could still use it as a DD. I DONT HAVE A LOT OF $$ so taking out a 2nd loan isn't part of my plan. So what I really could use some help with is putting together a plan to get their from Turbo's or S/C or NA. For me simpler is always better.

Quick Reply: 5.4 SOHC...