Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5.4 SOHC...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 08:15 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 5.4 SOHC...

You may not get EXACTLY 450hp but you can get pretty darn close to it on your stock motor. Now that you explained where you're at, it's a no brainer. I would not even bother with building up a shortblock for you - you don't need to. I would recommend the KB or a powerhouse turbo kit (because both come as complete kits and with other twin screws and turbos you have to spend more money on additional parts) and make sure it is tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. I think you can easily make 420-430 rwhp RELIABLY on your stock motor with the right parts and a good tune. Shell out the $$$ to upgrade your suspension and clutch/shifter for manual torque convereter for auto, EH2O pump, and get some gears and you'll be good to go with those and a couple other minor parts. You do not need a forged bottom end for where you want to be and it would be overkill IMHO. Now, if you're looking to be n/a with that, then I would just buy the 5.4 from JDM.

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 5.4 SOHC...

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

You may not get EXACTLY 450hp but you can get pretty darn close to it on your stock motor. Now that you explained where you're at, it's a no brainer. I would not even bother with building up a shortblock for you - you don't need to. I would recommend the KB or a powerhouse turbo kit (because both come as complete kits and with other twin screws and turbos you have to spend more money on additional parts) and make sure it is tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. I think you can easily make 420-430 rwhp RELIABLY on your stock motor with the right parts and a good tune. Shell out the $$$ to upgrade your suspension and clutch/shifter for manual torque convereter for auto, EH2O pump, and get some gears and you'll be good to go with those and a couple other minor parts. You do not need a forged bottom end for where you want to be and it would be overkill IMHO. Now, if you're looking to be n/a with that, then I would just buy the 5.4 from JDM.

Hope this helps,

Mark
I appreciate the info. I am currently going with max bolt-on approach. Once I have a every bolt-on imaginable on my car I will think about future mods like the afformetioned 5.4 3V swap. This was more of a hypothetical Question than anything serious.

On a side note probably in two years time I think I am goin to look into the Whipple/FRPP Blower. I like the idea of ford helping Whipple by suppling them with the Computer codes and all.(oh i think i miss-pelled whipple)