Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

OH NOES! Scratches on the hood!

Old 05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Default OH NOES! Scratches on the hood!

I took delivery on my Tungsten Gray GT last friday, and of course it rained the following monday. I couldn't bear to have my brand new car dirty so I laid low a couple days to make sure the weather was done and took it through a carwash. After rubbing off the remainder of the water spots the damn dryers missed, I noticed two very small nicks in the hood of my BRAND NEW CAR! [:@]

I don't know if they were there before I had it washed...they may have even been there before I took delivery. At any rate, I called the parts counter at the dealership and they claim to have '06 Tungsten Silver touchup paint which I didn't even know existed, so I'm thinking it's actually mine. They can cross reference the vin to ensure it is the correct paint.

My question is this: After I touch it up, shouldn't I put some sort of clear coat over it to protect it?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:18 PM
linernotejunky
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: OH NOES! Scratches on the hood!

just make sure it's T8 - the color code which is found on the inside panel of the driver's door. you don't need a clear coat if its small enough. i'd think the only time you would need a clear coat is if you sanded or rubbed the clear coat off other areas around the scratches. otherwise, the touchup paint should do nicely.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:32 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I hope it was a touchless car wash at least. The ones with the brushes will leave scratches and buff marks every time. My can guarantee my GT will never see one of them!
Old 05-25-2006, 06:24 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

I was driving around everywhere looking for a touchless, couldn't find one nearby so I did the brush one.

Live and learn I guess.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:31 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuriousGeorge

I took delivery on my Tungsten Gray GT last friday, and of course it rained the following monday. I couldn't bear to have my brand new car dirty so I laid low a couple days to make sure the weather was done and took it through a carwash. After rubbing off the remainder of the water spots the damn dryers missed, I noticed two very small nicks in the hood of my BRAND NEW CAR! [:@]

I don't know if they were there before I had it washed...they may have even been there before I took delivery. At any rate, I called the parts counter at the dealership and they claim to have '06 Tungsten Silver touchup paint which I didn't even know existed, so I'm thinking it's actually mine. They can cross reference the vin to ensure it is the correct paint.

My question is this: After I touch it up, shouldn't I put some sort of clear coat over it to protect it?
My question is why didn't you hand wash the car? I only trust my own hands when it comes to cleaning my vehicles no matter what it is lol.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:38 PM
jts
2nd Gear Member

My question is why didn't you hand wash the car? I only trust my own hands when it comes to cleaning my vehicles no matter what it is lol.
[/quote]

[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 05-25-2006, 09:42 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Never take the Mustang to a car wash. By washing the car yourself, you'll not only be making sure there are no scratches, but you will also discover any paint chips from daily driving.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

and it is a good time to bond with your girl =)
Old 05-26-2006, 02:03 AM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

I always hand wash my car no matter how tire I'am on the weekends.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:35 AM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

2nd the hand washing.... Hadnt washed mine in a week and half, and she is dirty! But I'd rather her be dirty than let those monsters get a hold of her with their spinning brushes, cheap soap, and crappy dryers!! Lol....HAND WASH FOR ME!!
Cory
I'm so meticulus with my car....only I wash it, no one else is allowed to touch it, until drying time, then my dad can help me dry it lol....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OH NOES! Scratches on the hood!