Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Re-tune ? need answer quick.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Default Re-tune ? need answer quick.

I just installed my JLT CAI and I'm ready to retune the car but SCT says to pull the fan and fuel pump fuses. Where are they and which fuses are they? How important is it to pull these? Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 10:08 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Re-tune ? need answer quick.

How quickly do you need the answer? Quick enough that you came back inside, fired up the internet, and came here to post the question....yet not important enough to just look at the fuse box picture in the owners manual........

Sorry... was just bored and felt like giving you a hard time for not helping yourself. No, you don't have to pull the fuses. The reason they suggest pulling them is to keep unnecessary power draws from happening while you are flashing the PCM that might interrupt the flash process.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Sorry but i disagree with the NOT pulling the fuel pump fuse. You must do this. Most tuners requires this procedure because they cycles the injectors during the programming phase and it can dump fuel into the motor and then when you go to start the car it can cause engine damage. Most tuners in fact make you answer the question yes or no if the fuel pump fuse has been removed and if you answer no it will not allow you to go further. Take the 30 seconds it take and remove the fuse.

Richard

Old 05-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the help and hard time. Guess I need to look harder.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Just took it out for a run and seems to work fine so far. Couldn't feel much of a diff since I'm stuck with the 87 tune till the next tank of gas. It will be even sweeter when I go back home to 93 octane.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:10 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Sorry but i disagree with the NOT pulling the fuel pump fuse. You must do this. Most tuners requires this procedure because they cycles the injectors during the programming phase and it can dump fuel into the motor and then when you go to start the car it can cause engine damage. Most tuners in fact make you answer the question yes or no if the fuel pump fuse has been removed and if you answer no it will not allow you to go further. Take the 30 seconds it take and remove the fuse.

Richard

My car has been on the dyno a minimum of 50 pulls ( and that is being conservative ). Not one single time has anyone pulled the fuses. And it has been at three different shops in it's lifetime. Also, I have owned a Diablo Predator, and now a SCT II, neither ask you if the fuses are pulled.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:41 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Richard

My car has been on the dyno a minimum of 50 pulls ( and that is being conservative ). Not one single time has anyone pulled the fuses. And it has been at three different shops in it's lifetime. Also, I have owned a Diablo Predator, and now a SCT II, neither ask you if the fuses are pulled.

Like i said if it is instructing you to pull the fuel pump fuse then it needs to be done. If it does not then of course you would not.

And i have also installed tunes with various tuners and any of them i have used in the past have asked that.

Richard
Old 05-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

i and my tuner wree not physically able to pull the relay, so we left it in. never had a problem...
Old 05-31-2006, 10:27 PM
drf
1st Gear Member

I have a C&L CAI and SCT XCAL-II from Brenspeed.

I asked for installation instructions specific to his tune and the ones he e-mailed me instructed NOT to bother removing any fuses.

All went well.