Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Forged internals help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:07 PM
bobsmilie2000
I ♥ Acer

Default Forged internals help.

Hi, I'm getting myself quite confused with which products I need to purchase for my 05 Mustang GT. Now, I am planning on putting a twin turbo in, but I need to get new internals so I don't mess up my engine. My first question is... With purchasing a Cobra crankshaft (8-bolt), will I need to purchase a flywheel for it to run correctly? I found out my car has a 6-bolt flywheel stock. Will the new 8-bolt fit correctly? Next question... Which piston size will I need? Should I just call ford? Would they have that information? I think I have the correct connecting rods here... http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

If not please tell me.
Thank you in advance for all of your help.

P.S. Does anyone know of a site that sells all of this in a kit besides Sean Hyland Motorsport.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:44 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Forged internals help.

6/8 bolt crank and flywheels are not compatible. They need to match. 6 bolt crank = 6 bolt flywheel, 8 bolt crank = 8 bolt flywheel.

ORIGINAL: bobsmilie2000
P.S. Does anyone know of a site that sells all of this in a kit besides Sean Hyland Motorsport.
Sure thing:

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com

...I think these guys sell pistons, maybe more.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:21 AM
bobsmilie2000
I ♥ Acer

I knew they both needed to be the same amount of bolts. Though I'm still confused on if I buy a new flywheel with 8-bolts, will it fit on my car. In other words, can I change my setup to be 8-bolts instead of 6 in my car by purchasing an 8-bolt flywheel? Will it fit?

Thanks for the link.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:33 AM
alphy

I think your missing his point. If your new crank is 8 bolt, then the 8 bolt flywheel will fit correctly. If its 6 bolt, then it will not work. The two bolt patterns are not compatible.

Now, is your new crank 8 bolt??

Personally I dont know why your dorkin around with this. You should just buy a crate motor and be done with it. You would probably save a crap load of money too.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:41 AM
bobsmilie2000
I ♥ Acer

I would like to keep my warrany for one. And I would much rather build my engine knowing I made it possible for all the power my car will have (I guess it's just an ego thing). A crate motor is not what I'm looking for (way to much money by the way). And yes my new crank is 8-bolt as previously stated.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:27 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

If you are worried about your warranty you shouldn't be considering a motor build and twin turbos. Your motor will no longer be warranted, accessories maybe but the actual motor will not be. With a power adder I wouldn't expect Ford to warranty anything in the drive train.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 PM
bobsmilie2000
I ♥ Acer

Well, they may not notice if I have turbos. Their remote mounted ones. They won't be able to tell the difference with the pistons, rods, or crank. My friend has his Dodge Ram remote mounted turbo, and he still has his warrany. I don't think they can even notice. It depends if they have to look under the car, and if they see the turbos (which they probably wont). Thanks for everyones input, though it was not usefull at all. I just asked a simple question, and all I got was... "Quit dorking around buy a crate motor, your warranty will no longer be valid." I don't care, I just wanted a freaking answer. So thanks.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Rkbarnes82
1st Gear Member

take it easy bob.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:03 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Believe me. There's no way they'll miss it.

All things aside, Crate is the proper route.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:13 PM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bobsmilie2000

Well, they may not notice if I have turbos. Their remote mounted ones. They won't be able to tell the difference with the pistons, rods, or crank. My friend has his Dodge Ram remote mounted turbo, and he still has his warrany. I don't think they can even notice. It depends if they have to look under the car, and if they see the turbos (which they probably wont). Thanks for everyones input, though it was not usefull at all. I just asked a simple question, and all I got was... "Quit dorking around buy a crate motor, your warranty will no longer be valid." I don't care, I just wanted a freaking answer. So thanks.
YOUR JOKING RIGHT??

I GUARENTEE before they ever lift a wrench to see what happened to your blown engine, they will notice all of that extra intake and exhaust piping running all over the underside of your car. do you think any ford mechanic is actually stupid enough to not notice all of the 'extras' on a new car that they work with almost on a daily bassis? would you also think they wouldnt look under the car somewhere in the process of trying to figure out why your engine blew? i guess the underside of a car is a place no one ever looks.

yea i can believe your buddy with the dodge still has his warrenty, and so will you after you add whatever the hell you want to add, but if anything you change causes another part to break they will not warrenty those parts, read up on the moss magnuson act.

i think you are getting in a little over your head on this one...

Quick Reply: Forged internals help.