Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GOOD FORD DEALERS IN SUBURBS OF CHICAGO, AND 18 INCH WINTER TIRES??

Old 05-31-2006, 07:50 PM
EJMStang06

Default GOOD FORD DEALERS IN SUBURBS OF CHICAGO, AND 18 INCH WINTER TIRES??

Hey..

Does anybody know of a good Ford dealer in Chicago Northwest suburbs to take your car in when there is trouble. I bought my GT an hour away from my house because of the discount I got through my work. I dont feel like driving 1 hour to get something looked at. I hear there are better places then other to take your stang in to get worked on. I also wanted to know if anyone is familiar with winter tires. I got the 18 inch option and am afraid to drive in the snow. What is the options for tires?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 09:21 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: GOOD FORD DEALERS IN SUBURBS OF CHICAGO, AND 18 INCH WINTER TIRES??

Spend the money that you would on winter tires and buy a POS beater car for the winter. I live in the snow belt and wouldn't even consider driving the Mustang in winter for the following reasons:A] road salt is corrosive to sheet metal, B] you have a 300HP rear wheel drive car C] no matter how carefully YOU drive, someone might slide into you. Regardless of traction control, save yourself some heartache and park the Mustang in winter.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:24 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Store the 4 18" wheels and tires in the winter and get yourself a set of 17 or 18" wheels with nice snow tires for the winter.

It can be as easy as ordering tire racks package in the fall which includes some type of aftermarket rim. Or getting ford or aftermarket bullit wheels and snow tires.

There is a place called new take offs that is selling 4- 17" new ford bullits for 400 bucks a set.

But I am probably going to stick with something in an 18" snow tire and wheel for the winter. So if a gt500 style large brake upgrade is offered by ford at some point I can go with that and not have to worry about spending another 1000-1300 on snows.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:19 AM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Victor Ford, Wauconda, IL on Rt 12 between 176 and 120.

As far as the tires go. Yeah, check ebay for some 17" bullitts that someone took off their stocker, and throw some good snows on 'em.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:07 AM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Scooter80, I see you have some mods, is that Victor Ford cool with that stuff?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:42 AM
marguerite66
4th Gear Member

I agree with callahan. I had driven rear-wheel drive cars in the snow for years so when I got my 2000 Mustang, I thought I could drive it in the winter. I drove it 1 time in the snow and I was all over the place. I went right out and bought a winter car. Its worth it, keeps the mileage low and keeps the salt off. Also, I use my winter car as my primary car on my insurance and saves me a lot of money.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:36 AM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

I bought my vert at Sessler Ford. They are very cool.
Service dept. does many mods including supercharger installs.
They did mine and did my gear and more.
Oh and they won't mess with your warranty. Very good dealership for service, they were SVT and their drivetrain techs top notch.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

is it "shih-cahg-oh" or "che-cay-gho"?

sorry i have no useful input, but felt like asking cuz people from chicago seem to pronounce it diff than everyone else
Old 06-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Phantom_Captain_13

The first way.

But I am from shi ca go, and that's the way we pronounce it, so it must be right! right?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scooter80

As far as the tires go. Yeah, check ebay for some 17" bullitts that someone took off their stocker, and throw some good snows on 'em.
Exactly. That's what I did. The extra cost of an 18" snow tire vs 17" will be considerable. Help even out the cost of a set of bullitts for 400.
Also if you get 18" snows for the stock wheels factor in the cost of the tire changeover and re balance every 6 months, that gets costly.

Also increase risk of damage to the wheels mounting/dismounting tires every 6 months.

Also a 17" will have better snow traction assuming you would go with the narrower stock 17" size.

2nd its still a Mustang, not a Ferrari, or lambo, its meant to be driving in all weather! Just take good car of her.

Its unbearable looking at that car all winter and not driving it. I don't know how the storage guys do it, hats off!

If you do decide to get snows, come see/call/pm me, I manage a Goodyear store in the south burbs, Ill help ya out.

Winter

Summer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GOOD FORD DEALERS IN SUBURBS OF CHICAGO, AND 18 INCH WINTER TIRES??