Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just put on Stars and Stripes pony (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just put on Stars and Stripes pony (pics)

ORIGINAL: STANGLVR

OOh OOOh I know it's D-DAY!! Do I win a prize?

Yes, a cold beer. Cheers!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I've got one on my stang as well, got it from http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com .

As for flag etiquette, some checking will quickly demonstrate that the definition of "flag" is elusive. Here's the typically recognized definition:

"A flag is a piece of cloth flown from a pole or mast, usually intended for signaling or identification. Flags were initially created for signalling (as in semaphore), and for the identification of those who displayed them, and are still used for that purpose today. Flags are also used in messaging or advertising, or for decorative purposes, though at this less formal end the distinction between a flag and a simple cloth banner is blurred."

Flag etiquette would not in the least apply to this grille emblem, because clearly it is an emblem festooned with the symbols of the American flag, but it is not in itself a flag. Now the web site that was linked to above defines "flag" very broadly and includes anything that looks remotely like the Stars and Bars, but at least they state up front that it is their own "answer" or interpretation. I strongly disagree with their interpretation though, I'd say the average person would certainly not consider this grille emblem a "flag".

Old 06-08-2006, 12:45 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Then google "flag ediquette". Now, on ANY of the sites that it returns, read them. The same phrase is on every one.

A postage stamp is not a "flag" either. BUT, putting a picture of the flag on a postage stamp is improper etiquette.

What the hell does it matter anyway. Like arguing with drunks. You are all correct, you are all proud, you are all honoring your country by using it's symbol in a manor that is against proper etiquette as outlined by our fore fathers. But those same fore fathers also gave everyone ther right of freedom of expression. And, just so happens that expressing "respect" for our nations flag by improperly placing it's likeness on anything you choose is not illegal.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:21 AM
jpo06gt
1st Gear Member

Hawgman,

Imprinting the image of a flag onto an object is not necessarily a breach of flag etiquette.

Grammatically speaking, paragraph 8.g refers to the placement or attachment of a mark, letter, or design onto the flag itself -- not the opposite. Hence, the website's example of President Bush's etiquette breach by signing the flag. Imprinting the image of a flag onto an object does not violate this rule. Therefore, a flag postage stamp is not necessarily an etiquette breach.

Paragraph 8.i refers to the use of the flag's image in a disrespectful manner -- cushions and handkerchiefs ("and the like") for example, because sitting on the flag and wiping your nose with it are disrespectful. This paragraph also cites paper napkins and boxes as examples of non-flag use (designed for temporary use and discard).

A strict (conservative) interpretation of this paragraph would allow for a wide range of applications for the flag's image as long as they are not disrespectful (e.g. cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, etc.).

That brings the question -- Is the Stars and Stripes pony disrespectful? I think most people would agree that it is a sign of patriotism, and therefore pays respect to the image of the flag as a symbol of our country.

Not trying to drunk argue here -- just wanted to show another point of view.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:40 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

^^^^ I noticed it said anything placed ON the flag also, not necessarily the flag ON anything else. But I agree you shouldnt disrespect our flag. Alot of men and women have died for this country, I support our troops 100%. I have many many friends in the military and I look up to them for serving their country the way they do. Its really sad to see so many people in our country that really dont give a damn about patriotism or a love for their country. But then again, that is their right... I dont agree with it but I accept it. Thats a part of being free. You cant have your own free opinions and feelings about something and then expect other people not to. I personally believe that as long as the flag isnt being disrespected in any manner than there is nothing wrong with having it on something. BUT as far as real flags come, I do follow the rules of etiquette. We fly an American flag outside our house and every couple months or so when it starts to get tattered, we buy a new one and dispose of the old one according to the rules. (Fold it like you would for a military burial and then burn it out of respect, never letting it touch the ground.) Thats just how I was raised though. Different people are raised different and to each their own, thats the beauty of our country, you have the right to be yourself, no matter how you are.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

I'm gonna have to agree with hawg on this too. Although it is a free country and there are no laws against showing your colors with pride. I just don't think it's tasteful. JMO

The flag is a symbol, regardless of what material it's printed on, that deserves respect. Not because of it's perty colors ore shiny stars. It's what the flag symbolizes that is so important. Can anyone here tell me what the colors represent without the help of g00gle? I doubt it. Most just take it for granted and don't really understand its history, origins, or its power. Most don't even realize what all our flag represents. The purity, unity, and sacrifice of our country and its fighting men and women. I just think it is a symbol that should be treated with reverence and not plastered on every t-shirt, napkin, and car. Now if you really want to make a statement get a pony with the pow/mia flag on it. Or better yet, go to a military funeral and see the care and respect with which the flag is treated. Watch as the flag is lifted from the coffin of a patriot, carefully folded with only 4 stars visible, and is handed to a greiving family member. Maybe the looks on the faces around you will bring home what it really is "heavy" ppl like hawg and myself are trying to protect. It's nothing to lighten up about and it makes me sad that there are people out there that enjoy the freedom of this country, without really understanding its price. Freedom isn't free...

Again this is just an opinion so don't bother flaming because my opinions are unflinchingly rigid. Now I'll yield my soap box to the next opinionated person. I think this is a good conversation and is something that should be discussed, regardless of who's right or wrong.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:48 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Well said. Period.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:50 PM
JayholeUSMC

Um... your not sopposed to print the US Flag on anything... except well the cloth made for the flag itself or a service patch (i.e Army shoulder patches, ect, ect)... but the Emblem clearly is NOT the US Flag... although it may look like the flag, its is not an exact duplicate of the AMerican Flag, thus making it in no way shape or form disrepectful. is the Pony was square... and looked exactly like the flag you should be waving in your from yard then i could see it as disrespecting the Flag... but it is in the shape of a pony... with less then 50 stars and waving red and white stripes... so it is just a symbol, not a flag in any way shape or form...
and i know about this stuff... im a US Marine...

so the next time you wanna go psyco patriotic about a really nice expensive poney bearing this countries colors... maybe you should learn a thing or two about your flag and how it should be treated...

i mean Americans do soo many things to the flag that is disrespectful... but no one says anything to them... like bundling it up instead of folding it properly or leaving it on its post overnight with out light showing on it. only two flags are allowed to stay up all night anyways... and one of them is the Iwo Jima Monument in Washington
Old 06-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

But it's the principalities involved man!!! Nah...I'm just kiddin. It's a matter of perspective really. Is the symbol of the flag different than the flag itself? To me...not really. To each his own though. And I know what I'm talkin about...I'm in the US Army. LoL Seriously though...being in the service by no means makes any of us an expert on all things patriotic, and D&C, etc... But I would argue it makes for a more informed opinion.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:23 PM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

I don't personally like it but it's this persons right to have it. However one decides to display their patriotism is their right. How can displaying pride for your country and your flag, in whatever way that may be, disprectful? I should know too. I myself have not served but was going to at one point in my life. Growing up i wanted to and i even had three years of ROTC in high school. I wanted to make a career of it. My senior year i decided not too. I've had grandparents, uncles, my father, two brothers, friends, and coworkers in the military. I own a flag as i think everyone should. It's properly folded and stored. I have the most respect for our country and flag but by no means does having this emblem disrepect anything. I've even seen stangs painted in stars and stripes. I think it's great that people do it. It shows we still have pride. It's that pride that keeps this country going.

PS. Thank you guys for serving our great nation!