Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TURBOCHARGER vs SUPERCHARCHER

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:04 PM
alphy

Default RE: TURBOCHARGER vs SUPERCHARCHER

Its probably a matter of which do you prefer over anything else..

I prefer superchargers. I think more because I dont like having to become a plumbing expert with the exhaust and the nastalgia of superchargers more than anything.

I would bolt on a supercharger right now, but I just dont have the dough. [>:]
Old 06-02-2006, 08:56 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

I've had a turbocharged car and a supercharged car. I'll take a supercharger anyday over a turbo. A supercharger draws more power to make power, but you have power on demand. Turbochargers have that dreaded lag. [2004 Subaru WRX, 2003 Mustang Cobra ].
Old 06-02-2006, 10:20 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: callahan

I've had a turbocharged car and a supercharged car. I'll take a supercharger anyday over a turbo. A supercharger draws more power to make power, but you have power on demand. Turbochargers have that dreaded lag. [2004 Subaru WRX, 2003 Mustang Cobra ].
Apples and oranges, sorry they aren't the same. Drive a turbocharged 4.6 with say a 67mm turbo and a .70 A/R no turbo lag.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:55 PM
qbuswell
2nd Gear Member

with a turbo you have to have a intercooler or you could have detonation. The new sts turbos mount in the rear! Instead of mufflers you have the turbo. Boost is made and shot up to the front to the engine. During that time the air cools itself.....so an intercooler is not "needed" I thing right now it is only offered to the 05 + stangs.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:23 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Actually only the single turbo kit from STS which comes at 5-6psi is not intercooled their twin turbo setup still uses an intercooler at 9psi. There are a lot of negatives to the STS kit that have been discussed numerous times.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:41 PM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

+1 for Turbo... Superchargers are very problematic, they put ALOT of stress on the front of the crank... Plus you deal with parasitic loss... Turbo cars are more efficient by far, and a bit of turbo lag will help you get out of the hole without as much tire spin... They are more mild mannered for street driving then superchargers, my buddy runs 9's, in his turbo Mustang, on drag radials, and he drives the car to and from the track...
Old 06-03-2006, 12:17 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GONZOPR1

I was just wondering if someone can help me choose between a turbocharger and a supercharger. I alway heard that superchargers produce more HP and works better, but are expensive. Can someone give me a good charger for the price?

I would say go with the Turbo. Superchargers are nice but in my expierience with Vettes the turbos always kick ***. They also produce the best track times. When your trying to perform a good luanch the superchagers kicks in a gives you too much wheel spin. But a Turbo is somewhat smarter and waits for the right time to kick in. Ive actually seen a supercharger and a turbo with the same amount of boost in 2 C5 auto Vettes and the Turbo kicked ***. A good turbo setup will make you very happy. Sometimes too much torque to early is a bad thing....
Old 06-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

I have built many turbo 4s and 6s.... I had almost NO lag with them and I would hope with 8 cylinders pumping air that it would be even less than NONE....

Lag is a result of bad planning of the system(the turbo intake or exhaust housing to large), bad tuning, or a cheap ineffective boost controller.

Lag is a myth with the electronics these days.... damn I miss my turbo....

The wife said as soon as the SHO is sold, I can order my turbo kit.......
Old 06-03-2006, 01:12 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Hiboost - You won't be dissapointed with a turbo on your '06.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:53 AM
cableguymicah
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

ORIGINAL: callahan

Apples and oranges, sorry they aren't the same. Drive a turbocharged 4.6 with say a 67mm turbo and a .70 A/R no turbo lag.

+1 I agree.

I have a S/C and i am very happy, but as soon as I do my engine swap I will be putting a turbo on that bad boy

Quick Reply: TURBOCHARGER vs SUPERCHARCHER