Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DiabloSport: Fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:21 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

Default DiabloSport: Fuel question

For those of you who have a DiabloSport Predator tuner, I was reading the manual it says the following "Premium grade unleaded fuel must be used for all PREDATOR Applications".
If thats so, what is the purpose of the 87 Octane tune? Does it mean that you still have to put premium unleaded even though the tune is for 87?
I am curious because I use 87 and when I loaded the 87 Octane tune I thought I heard a little engine knock, during hard acceleration, so I loaded back the factory tune.
I don't know, maybe it was just bad gasoline or something, but I'm going to take out for a run and see if I hear the knocking again with the factory tune back in.
Does anyone have any insight to this? Or noticed this?

Thanks for your input.

JT
Old 06-02-2006, 12:16 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: DiabloSport: Fuel question

I have never run the 87 tune. I ran the 93 until I had the dynotune done and always ran 93 octane, as I do now. Basically, the 93 tune adds quite a bit of global timing, timing advance (6% at each rpm as I recall) and adds 4% fuel. The more conservative tunes do the same but to a lessor degree. As long as you are running a major brand fuel on the 87 you should be fine, so maybe you had some poor grade fuel at the time. Try the 93 tune. You will like it. Worth a few extra pennies at the pump! With my custom tune, I am maxed on the global timing and have a lot of advance in the 2 rpm ranges but no detonation problems.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:47 AM
SpeedRacer9220
1st Gear Member

I ran the 87 Oct tune at first because I was running 89 Oct in the tank. Of course I experienced no detonation.When I used all of the 89 Oct, I switched to the 91 Oct tune and haven't had a problem with detonation. I am also running a AEM CAI along with my 91 canned tune. Sounds like you prob got some bad gas.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:01 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hi jt,

My car has one of the old, original Steeda CAI and the matching Steeda part# Diablo Predator tuner. Both both have been updated to the current production 90mm MAF housing and the latest revision Predator firmware. I have never run the 87 octane tunes but many people I know have an they worked fine. I have always run the 93 otane tunes with a little more timing cranked in and never have an issue with knocking unless it's really hot out and I'm pushing hard.

Cheers

ORIGINAL: jt14894

For those of you who have a DiabloSport Predator tuner, I was reading the manual it says the following "Premium grade unleaded fuel must be used for all PREDATOR Applications".
If thats so, what is the purpose of the 87 Octane tune? Does it mean that you still have to put premium unleaded even though the tune is for 87?
I am curious because I use 87 and when I loaded the 87 Octane tune I thought I heard a little engine knock, during hard acceleration, so I loaded back the factory tune.
I don't know, maybe it was just bad gasoline or something, but I'm going to take out for a run and see if I hear the knocking again with the factory tune back in.
Does anyone have any insight to this? Or noticed this?

Thanks for your input.

JT
Old 06-02-2006, 04:12 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

After you've used up all of your current gas, fill up with a different brand of gas(Sunoco, Mobil, and Amoco are recommended), and reload the Predator 87 tune.
If it still pings, then either take out a degree or 2 of timing in the rpm range where the pinging is happening(2000-4000 or 4000-7000), or try 89 octane.
I used the 87 tune initially, and it was ok. But the 93 tune puts a great big smile on my face every time I floor the LOUD pedal. And for only a few $ more per tankful, the difference in performance is definitely worth it for me.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:31 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

The bottom line is if you are using a canned tune, you may get some bad gas now and then but your car is not going to blow on 87. If you start getting into custom tuning and adding timing and playing with fuel, then only a fool would use 87 gas IMHO.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:07 PM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

I'd say it's asking for brand name gas (Shell, BP, Cheveron, Etc.) Not some no name gas station. You'll get better quality gas not to mention a lot of no name places rig the pumps to cheat you out of money. It may be a few pennies but if you multliply that by the number of cars that use that station in a year it adds up. Yes, there are pump inspectors but they don't get to all of them. Some even put them back when the inspector leaves. There are several in my city that are known for that so i stick with the major gas stations. Just a thought...
Old 06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

Hey thats for the suggestions and input.
Actually, I did fill it brand name gas (i.e. Amoco and Shell) while I was in Georgia, along I-75.
Initially, I filled it up with Amoco, about 14 gals, and then topped it off with Shell, about 3 gals, before I got to the Georgia/Florida border.
I put the tune back to stock and its still slightly pinging or knocking, at hard accel, so I suspect the either the Amoco or Shell gas is bad.
The car is on empty so I'm going to fill it up with higher grade gas and see if that takes care of it. If so, I'll put back the tune and take it for a spin.
I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:43 AM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

Just a follow up.
Yep! It was just bad gas! Those bastages!!
I filled it up with Amoco 89 octane and the knocking/pinging is gone so everything is good. WHEW!!
Time to reload the tune and open this baby up!