Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

LONG TUBE time

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

Default LONG TUBE time

So I have a debacle that you all can help me with. I need long tubes and an off road mid pipe. Should I go with JBA ceramic coated long tubes and off road H? OR, should i go with Bassani ceramic coated long tubes and an off road X? I might as well throw Hooker ceramic coated long tubes in there too while I'm at it, as well as whatever else RPM Outlet sells (best prices anywhere...i know a guy that gets additional discount there).

i'll start the vote out with +1 for bassani because i will not choose sides but my friend chooses them. Zeeshan, you are NOT allowed to vote!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:47 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: LONG TUBE time

I have the Dynatech headers with high-flow cats & x-pipe. They are not as well known outside of professional racing compared to say, JBA, but they are now getting more into the "street" market.

I am very happy with them. 100% stainless, perfect fit (and that's coming from a machinst), extremely good weld quality, and the kit completeness was top notch. The installation direction BOOK was very detailed and had color photos for every step. They are far nicer than the Hookers I installed on my buddy's 5.0.

HP wise all of the longtubes are going to be very similar.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I have the Dynatech headers with high-flow cats & x-pipe. They are not as well known outside of professional racing compared to say, JBA, but they are now getting more into the "street" market.

I am very happy with them. 100% stainless, perfect fit (and that's coming from a machinst), extremely good weld quality, and the kit completeness was top notch. The installation direction BOOK was very detailed and had color photos for every step. They are far nicer than the Hookers I installed on my buddy's 5.0.

HP wise all of the longtubes are going to be very similar.
how much did those dynatechs run and where were they purchased? do they offer a matching off road mid pipe (not interested in having cats)? I already have 02 extensions. Did they come with a "new" gasket set?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I bought the kit from Summit Racing. If I remember right it was around $1300. That was for the headers, cats, and X-pipe. The kit also includes bolts, gaskets, O2 extensions, and all the clamps, collector gaskets, and so on.

I belive they have both a complete kit (that I bought) and also a header-only kit with no cats.

http://dynatechheaders.com/

I was originally thinking about getting an off-road pipe as well, but I decided to stick with the high-flow cats. The Dynatech cats were reviewed in a Corvette mag that my buddy reads, and they did a dyno test and couldn't tell any appreciable HP difference with and without them. They are much larger OD and much shorter than the stock cats, you can look clean through them. I figured I'd go ahead and use them, thereby eliminating any emissions hassles down the road.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:30 PM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

crazyal, do you have a sound clip of your exhuast?? i have been looking for that exact combo for a while now and i would like to here how the long tubes and x change the exhaust sound. also, how much lower is he lowest point on that exhaust. i am curious to know because i plan to lower my car but i dont want anythinghanging down too far.

Ty
Old 06-02-2006, 11:37 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Hey,

I don't have a sound clip, nor do I have anything that I would trust to make a decent sounding recording.

I also installed a pair of Borla XR-1 "bullet" style mufflers into the overaxle pipes of my catback system to act as resonators, otherwise the drone would have been pretty bad. Right now my car has VERY MINIMAL drone.

It doesn't hang down any lower than OEM, so you'll have plenty of clearance.

Here is the full report post I made when I first did the install.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:39 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

SLP
Old 06-02-2006, 11:53 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

Well anyone have the Hookers on their stang, I like them because of their price(yeah i know i am cheap). I really dont have a grand for exhaust.

I was wonderin if u do have the Hookers LT was there any fitment issues(thats my biggest concern, HP will be darn the same with every LT setup) also what x-pipe/h-pipe(if not the one hooker offers) did u use, I read somewhere that you can use the stock one if u have the exhaust cut and expanded to fit over the header collectors.

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

The Bassanis are exactly what their reputation says they are. High Quality, High Performance, and 0rgasmic sounding. And you'll get to join the club ; )
Old 06-03-2006, 02:56 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Of everything mentioned so far, I prefer the 304 grade stainless headers that CrazyAl has although his system has cats (not a bad thing). There is a brand new product out I have to think should be excellent due to their reputation and the fact they've taken this long to research and develop it prior to introducing it to market. I am talking about Borla part # 17237 which is LT headers and an X-pipe. Borla has had a catback system out for awhile but this new product will run right up to those pieces. PM me if you'd like to know the cheapest source to find one which is currently $1,004. If anyone knows a better price for it then let me know. Not cheap but it comes with a lifetime guarantee and I've little doubt it will last that long. Just a matter of time before I put one on my car.

Quick Reply: LONG TUBE time