Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

short throw shifters....do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 06:35 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

Default short throw shifters....do they work?

I know the physical shifting distance is reduced, but do they really reduce the time spent shifting?

for example, if it takes you .2 sec to shift with your short throw, but it takes you .5 seconds to work the clutch with your foot, then your shift time is still .5 seconds and the short throw hasn't done a d#mn thing. know what I'm sayin?

how much will shift time be reduced for a typical driver with a short throw shifter?

thanks
Old 06-04-2006, 06:38 PM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: short throw shifters....do they work?

Because you have completed your shift sooner you can release the clutch faster. That is the only way I can describe it. It is definitely worth the money.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:32 PM
BlackMagic1

Another factor is you know that you won't miss a shift. After installing a PRO50 in my 06, I know when going for 3rd gear its going to 3rd!With the factory shifter, it was easy to go from 2nd to 5th
Old 06-04-2006, 10:05 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

2nd to 5th?? Never had that happen myself. I missed third twice the first couple weeks I had the car. But I just got caught in the gate.

Now that I know where third is and how to get there quickly it is second nature.

As long as it doesent wear or loosen up I think the factory shifter feels pretty good. I actually got complimented on the clutch and shifter feel by a family member who has owned like 4 M3s through the years and a couple porsches.

To me the throws are just right. Third gear is a little close to the dash and I swear one day I am going to slip put my fist into it by accident. But other than that, not too many complaints. Stops are pretty solid, etc.

I was playing with an 05 roush something in the dealer a month ago and the shifter felt too toggle switch like to me. Stiff, not smooth, notchy, etc.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:48 AM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

shifting is very smooth now and "short" btw i have an 02 gt and installed an mgw. well i emailed this girl from mgw and told her they better hurry up and get their **** together cuz they were losing ALOT of business not having shifters ready for the NEWER 05-06 stangs, hopefully theyll get going.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:27 PM
alphy

I love my Hurst in my 05 GT. The factory shifter felt sloppy and was too damn short; my elbow wanted to rest in the drink holder. Not to mention, the factory shifter felt like I was going to put my hand into the dash, in first it was only 3 inches from the A/C controls.

My Hurst has a more upright position, my arm actually rests on the center console and very short throws, around an inch or two. Its also not sloppy like the factory shifter, Ive missed gears while down shifting and not fully engaged third with the factory shifter. The Hurst is very notchy, but I like that. I know what gear Im in and that Im not going to miss the next one.

Its probably personal preference over anything, but I do like my aftermarket shifter and it has increased my shifting speed.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:19 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the input. definitely putting a short throw on my mod wish list