Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

hopefully the end of gear debates!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 11:43 PM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

Default hopefully the end of gear debates!!

there has been much debate lately over where to buy gears from. people say if you buy from 50resto.com they are ford gears made by motive and not as good. well i contacted someone to set me straight on gears and part numbers. im going to post a small exerpt from buyfrodracing.com :All Year 3.73 Ring Gear & Pinion Set

Replaces our popular M-4209-F373. New manufacturing technology utilizing a Face Hob Process which features a single pass pinion tooth machining operation compared to a conventional three pass process for machining. CNC cut and lapped gear teeth. Higher strength and better quality gears are produced with the Face Hob Process. Note: These new gears look a little different, the gear teeth are cut on a different angle and the ring gear has a bevel on the back of the gear.Not legal for sale or use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles.
NOTE:Next Day Air Shipping Not Available on Ring & Pinion Orders.

Part Number: 4209-F373N

NOW someone said they contacted 50resto.com and told them that their gears ended in "m" ,which is supposedly from motive gears, and not a which supposedly are ford gears. this is simply not true, i think they may have misunderstood because my 3.73 gears that i ordered from 50 resto .com DID NOT end in "m" rather they began with "M". now if you read the exerpt above from fordracing.com you will see they have a new machining process that makes their gears better than before. the part number on my gears from 50resto is exactly the same number as fords new gear, M-4209-F373N, in which the only difference in the old and the new process is the new letter "N", for the new machining process. all ford gears begin with "M". now there is absolutely no difference in these gears from ford racing.com and the gears i bought from 50resto.com. if someone has said the gears are not good just because they paid alot more for them somewhere else then you will have to live with that, but dont talk crap about other peoples product from other websites if you have no clue. in ending please dont believe the hype everyone is saying about these 50resto gears, theres no difference. my gears are great!!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:49 PM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: hopefully the end of gear debates!!

also the 4.10 gears do end in "A" but this does not signify the maker, this gear for 4.10 is also for the new machining process.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:35 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rjgstang

there has been much debate lately over where to buy gears from. people say if you buy from 50resto.com they are ford gears made by motive and not as good. well i contacted someone to set me straight on gears and part numbers. im going to post a small exerpt from buyfrodracing.com :All Year 3.73 Ring Gear & Pinion Set

Replaces our popular M-4209-F373. New manufacturing technology utilizing a Face Hob Process which features a single pass pinion tooth machining operation compared to a conventional three pass process for machining. CNC cut and lapped gear teeth. Higher strength and better quality gears are produced with the Face Hob Process. Note: These new gears look a little different, the gear teeth are cut on a different angle and the ring gear has a bevel on the back of the gear.Not legal for sale or use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles.
NOTE:Next Day Air Shipping Not Available on Ring & Pinion Orders.

Part Number: 4209-F373N

NOW someone said they contacted 50resto.com and told them that their gears ended in "m" ,which is supposedly from motive gears, and not a which supposedly are ford gears. this is simply not true, i think they may have misunderstood because my 3.73 gears that i ordered from 50 resto .com DID NOT end in "m" rather they began with "M". now if you read the exerpt above from fordracing.com you will see they have a new machining process that makes their gears better than before. the part number on my gears from 50resto is exactly the same number as fords new gear, M-4209-F373N, in which the only difference in the old and the new process is the new letter "N", for the new machining process. all ford gears begin with "M". now there is absolutely no difference in these gears from ford racing.com and the gears i bought from 50resto.com. if someone has said the gears are not good just because they paid alot more for them somewhere else then you will have to live with that, but dont talk crap about other peoples product from other websites if you have no clue. in ending please dont believe the hype everyone is saying about these 50resto gears, theres no difference. my gears are great!!
I agree i also decided to look into this further and came up with the same info.

Richard
Old 06-05-2006, 12:44 AM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

great i just hope there is noone fooled by the " mine cost more so its better " attitude. modding costs enough as it is.