Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Removing the dealer decal

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Roga Danar

Default Removing the dealer decal

Hey guys...I've had my new 06 GT for about three weeks now and decided to go ahead and jump into the forum with a question.

I would like to remove the dealer decal (not sure if that is the correct word for it) from the back of the vehicle.

How would you recommend doing this?

Hair dryer/soap/polish? Some sort of solvent?

Just want to make sure I don't screw up the paint job .

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Removing the dealer decal

Take it back to the dealership and tell them to either give you $500 a month for advertising, or take the damned thing off...

You *should* just be able to peal it off, just be careful and take your time. If it is being stubborn, use a heat gun or blow-dryer to soften it up. Afterwards use Goo Gone to get rid of the adhesive...
Old 06-06-2006, 07:28 PM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

Some jerk off that received my car at the dealer took the other dealers sticker off (it was shipped to this dealer from one in their network) and must have used a non microfiber towel to get the goo off cuz it put a really bad spot on the trunk, oh and my car is black... He's lucky it came off with waxing.

Ya it should peel off and then get a microfiber towel and rub it off.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:41 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

use WD-40. Spray it liberally along the top of the decal, wait a few minutes, then peel the decal off.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

any remaining goo comes off best with Ronsonol.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:25 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

herknav U R about the 10,000th person, I've seen make / or say that remark. You know it won't f***ing work. But it makes you feel good to say it, I'm sure.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:17 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I'm wondering why you've waited 3 weeks; 3 hours would be a LONGGG time. Anyway don't give it to the dealer to remove, they only know how to put them on. They might have a hairdryer in the ladies room but I doubt it. Seriously, no heat gun, simply park the car so the area is in the sun for a while; then use a hairdryer and it will easily peel off. Goo-gone is fine for what little residue will remain. Clean and wax area with microfibre; you should be fine. Do not use anything like lacquer thinner to clean the area unless you want to mess up your clearcoat. I've never used WD-40 on today's clearcoat; personally I wouldn't do that, but if you just HAVE TO try it, test an area under the trunk mat. ...but I can't see why you need/want to go there.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:11 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

Apply GooGone around it. Let it set a minute then pull it off. If it doesn't come easy then use a thin plastic putty knife or something like it to get underneath it and carefully pull straight out with it. I had to do that with mine because it was mostly thin, cheap, letters that broke off when i tried to just pull it off. Taking that crap off is the first thing i do to a new car.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LEJAY

herknav U R about the 10,000th person, I've seen make / or say that remark. You know it won't f***ing work. But it makes you feel good to say it, I'm sure.
If you tell them before you sign the paperwork, they will stumble all over themselves to take it off...
Old 06-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Roga Danar

Thanks for the info all...gonna try to get it off within a few days here.

I'll let you know...probably gonna try the hair dryer first and heat that puppy up...if it doesn't come off, I'll try a little WD-40 (since I have both of these items).

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Removing the dealer decal