Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine does not start. Buy-back time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 06:41 PM
rspano

Default Engine does not start. Buy-back time?

2005 GT convertible.
Two months ago, engine would crank but not start. Towed to dealer. Started fine next morning. No significant codes in system. Died on 20 min. test drive. Towed back to dealer. Replaced fuel pump.

Last month, engine would crank but not start. Towed to dealer. Started fine next morning. No significant codes in system. Replace "cluster".

This week, engine would crank but not start. Towed to dealer. Started fine next morning. No significant codes in system. Techs are still scratching........

Although I should be asking you guys if know what's wrong with my car, I really want to ask if anyone can guide me through the process to get Ford to buy-back this car. Any help? Rich
Old 06-07-2006, 07:36 PM
06_tungsten_gt

Default RE: Engine does not start. Buy-back time?

i'm no expert in this area and possibly someone can guide you better then me, in which case i'm sure they'll chime in. But this is my 2 cents...
Heres a link to a website which is for 'lemons'
http://www.carlemon.com/lemonstat.html

On page 3 of this link it says its a lemon after 4 repair attempts for the same problem in california and unless I read it wrong you've had 4 attempts.
http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/CA_lemonaid.pdf

Sorry to hear of your problems. Hopefully someone can chime in with a ford contact to get the ball rolling.

pg 4 of that second link has a number to contact fords representative for warranty problems. Maybe thats a good starting place?

~Josh~
Old 06-07-2006, 07:38 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

I thought it was 3 repairs for the same problem. At any rate, it sounds like a lemon to me. Its probably just the ECU.
-P.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:53 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Have your dealer contact Detroit, maybe they can bring in their regional Super Tech.

JMO, but it's not all that "cut and dry simple", as far as the "lemon law" goes. You will need an Attorney to even begin the process. The guy will want some $ up front. Try to work this out with Management at the dealership.

GOOD LUCK.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:45 AM
WildRed
2nd Gear Member

+1
Old 06-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Before hiring an attorney you might want to read up (and ask) on the process of having them buy back your car. I wish I had done that. I probably would have gotten more than I'll ever get with a trade-in. And now I have a non-numbers matching car due to the new engine.
Do not trust Ford Techs! They don't know squat about the engine, the 3-valves nor the watchamacallit computer system. They flew in several times, scratched their heads and asses and never fixed anything for 5 weeks! All at one of the biggest Ford dealers in the US!

Old 06-08-2006, 10:38 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Wow. Sorry to hear of your problem. Who else would you trust ? Sounds like they gave it their best effort.
Short of the Wizard of Oz or Houdini, they were the only ppl you could rely on.

Why'd the space shuttle blow up twice ?
Why are there plane crashes ?
Why did the unsinkable Titanic sink ?

Sometimes, even the greatest minds make mistakes, and put out a random miscue. At least your problem was fixed.
I wouldn't worry about a non-number matching car as a trade in, the question will never be asked. As far as collectibility goes, that could be a valid point, about 100 years from now.

Good Luck with your new engine.

JMO