Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

got my stang back with all the mods...some problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Fly
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: got my stang back with all the mods...some problems.

Sounds like probably a starter bolt. Don't try to start it. Call your mechanic in the morning and tell them what happened and see what they're going to do to make it right. Just remember though, they are human and sh*t happens.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:59 AM
silverstang06
2nd Gear Member

^^oh by all means i understand. people make mistakes.i'm a very laid back guy and i do believe in karma. i tried to start it 3 times, i wont anymore though. what do you think is technicallyn taking place when i try to start it?
Old 06-10-2006, 03:10 AM
Fly
2nd Gear Member

Your starter drive gear is grinding against your flywheel (M/T) or flexplate (A/T) gear due to improper alignment. Don't be surprised if there is already permanent damage (nor should you be surprised if there's not). You'll know if there is once the starter is bolted back up. You'll hear it everytime the damaged teeth engage the starter gear, although it may be intermittent, because your car will start before it makes a full revolution.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:16 AM
silverstang06
2nd Gear Member

yeah, thats what it sounds like...grinding. how unfortunate is this man?

fly, thank you very much for all your help,i was freaking for a while. you can imagine though, i bought this car 1 month ago.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:29 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

As Fly said, you could already have damage to the flywheel or flex plate. Unfortunately if a starter gets out of alignment and you try to start it, it can quickly strip the teeth. Make sure the shop thoroughly checks for damage, because if they just bolt the starter back in it will probably work but the damage may still be there and may not surface again for quite some time.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:44 AM
silverstang06
2nd Gear Member

this is like a freaking nightmare.....
Old 06-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Rypper1
1st Gear Member

Damn dude, I feel for you. Sounds like you are actually taking it pretty well though. I am sure that L&S will take care of it the only problem is that you will probably have to get it back to them and that is a long tow. What I would do is call them and explain what you found and see what they say. If they say bring it in ask them if they will cover the tow charge. They should even though it will cost them a ton. Do you have a way of checking for damages at home and taking pics? Then you could bolt the starter back in place (if it is not ruined) and drive the car back to them and let them take care of replacing anything that was damaged. I would email them the pics first and get him to agree to cover it. I am actually supprised to hear of this because all I have heard is good stuff about them. Hopefully things will all work out.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:12 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

The tapping sound coming from the Borlas happened to me and drove me crazy for two days trying to find out what was going on. The hanger on the driver's side was to long and when the exhaust system heated up the expension caused it to rap against the frame. I'd look at the tip of the hanger to see the clearance. The shop that did the install ended up cutting about an inch off of the hanger and it's been fine ever since.
Of course maybe the sound you heard was coming from your loose starter motor but if not I'd check the Borla hangers on both sides. There was a thread where a few other people had this happen so it wasn't only me.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:35 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I have had simular things happen in the past and at first I think I should have just left the car alone and it was fine the way it was. Then I calm down and everything gets fixed and life is good again.
Did they sound awesome? I'm sure changing gears it's hard to tell how much is the gears and how much is exhaust power wise.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:23 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

On the upside, if they caused damage to the teeth on your flywheel it sure sounds like a good time to buy a aluminum one and get a free install!

Quick Reply: got my stang back with all the mods...some problems.