Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do we have or should we have a sign?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:27 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Do we have or should we have a sign?

ORIGINAL: Black06stang

I think that almost anyone on this forum or reading this forum would eagerly wave or converse with fellow stang owners and automobil/motorcycle fanatics. I think that the reason alot of the newer stang owners that we pass on the street do not wave is because the 2005-06 mustangs are affordable sports cars. People are now buying the mustang not because they care about its heritage or its legacy, but because of the affordable price and nice appearance. Previous generations of mustangs were less affordable, so an average joe/non car enthusiast can go out an buy a new one.
I guess I fail to understand the point made here. Do you have to be an enthusiast or Mustang history/legacy buff to be cool enough to wave? Is it bad that "normal people" are buying these cars? This is my second wholly owned car; the first was a 1994 Buick Regal Custom, so as you might imagine I wasn't terribly into cars and modding it. I guess I fit into the "average joe/non car enthusiast" category when I decided I wanted a new Mustang GT, because it was affordable, has a nice appearance (well more than nice, but you all know that), and, well...I just fell in love with it! These days I am making lists of things to do to the car, soaking up tons of info from these forums, and just plain old being interested! My car is completely stock; I still don't consider myself an enthusiast, but...I consider myself a decent person, in a good mood generally speaking, and so will give the nod, or wave, etc, etc. I just don't see the correlation between the A*hole factor and whether or not that person is an enthusiast. I am sure there are lots of A*hole enthusiasts out there who drop loads of money on their cars to produce an ego-machine to stomp on everyone else. I'll wave to an average joe in a Mustang any day over a stuck up A*hole, enthusiast or no.

That said, I am in agreement with most that the return rate on the wave/nod is not very good, however...I have to say that the day I bought my car I was driving down the road and an earlier model stang owner gave the wave, and I felt like a million bucks. I feel like if I can make someone else's day by showing appreciation, so be it.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:53 PM
millergt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OdiousBarbarian

haha... just reading what you said about getting the wave from guys on Harleys made me laugh. I ALWAYS snub you crotch rocket riders. All the Harleys and Choppers i see get the wave, but if you are on a crotch rocket, you wont get anything from me

I've been riding bikes for about 16 years. Right now I have a CBR 1000 RR. I've also riden a few types of Harleys and other Hondas. I love Harleys for what they are and they are fun to ride but hate them for the Unsafe ride they are. The ones I've been on are DANGEROUS at high speeds and don't break all that well. Cornering also sucks. This is why I'm back on a "crotch rocket". I've actually been in a discussion with a avide Harley rider about this issue and to this day he belives his Harley will out perform my 190 horse power 400 pound bike with his 100 horsepower 600 pound bike. He never has taken me up on a street race. Anyway I don't mind the "snub" it makes me kind of laugh. Thing is I'll probably buy another Harley next year to cruise on and keep my CBR for high speeds and twisty roads so I guess depending on which bike I'm on I'll get the "snub" from both groups one time or the other. Lastly if you have to trailer your Harley to Sturges or any other bike ralley you should not be there. They are for riders who actually ride.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:06 PM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

I either wave or head nod to almost every Mustang GT I come across in the daytime and I flash fogs at night.

Not V6's though.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

lol "not v6's though"

Old 06-13-2006, 01:26 AM
ral8667

I figure it's a nice gesture to acknowledge other Mustangs, so they either get my flashing fogs, a wave, or both. If I get something back, great. Otherwise, I figure it's better to keep being friendly and hope others will catch on.

Last weekend I made a turn next to a '69 mustang that burned out when he saw me. I ended up at a traffic light next to him and he was just staring straight ahead. Then I said "nice ride", and he smiled and we talked for a minute until the light turned green. I expected him to show me up, but we just both took it easy and went our way. It seemed like he had an attitude at first, but I think he appreciated the nice comment and then asked questions about my car.

Ron
Old 06-13-2006, 10:32 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Nice...Yeah the last few days I have just been trying something new. I would either wave or 2 finger out the window at them and I have not even waited to to see if they replied. A guy in my neighbehood with a like mmmm, 85,86 gt or so with some engine mods(judging by sound) road by my house while I was washing my ride. he did the 2 finger off the wheel salute. I gave him the whats up back, Have to admit, I like when a fellow Mustangs acknowledges me. Have not really figured out why I dont care if a regular car does?? Maybe because they do like every day. I dont know mann, don't got a clue. Does not make since I know....
Old 06-14-2006, 02:08 PM
triple_E_Farm
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

Every 05+ stang I see could care less. Great car, tons of compliments, but in genral, most mustang owners dont even care and just turn their heads.

I tried a thumbs up once, the big response was a nod.

V6 owners in general seem to be extra wierd when a gt is next to them. Older body styles are even more snobbish. I parked next to a mach 1 recently in front of a convienence store and both of us were getting out of the cars. I waited to see if he was going to say something. Not a word. Finally I said nice car. He said thanks and that was it.

I Have experience the same thing, I also have a Corvette and every time you pass another vette no matter what the year the driver and most times the passengers wave. I have waved other mustangs with little or no responce. I wish something would catch on.

Around here I think the fog light flashing would have everybody behind the mustang slowing down looking for a county sherriff with radar.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:10 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure why people expect Harley riders to wave at import riders... Do Mustang owners wave every time a Kia comes up next to them at a stop light? Or to be fair to import bike owners... do Mustang owners wave when a WRX pulls up next to them?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:28 PM
gary1968teacher

I would wave to anyone who waved to me, I used to have a Porsche and all the other Porsche drivers waved when we met. I now own a '68, '92, and a black GT '06; being a friendly guy and noticing ever Mustang I see; I for one will start waving to them. If they wave back, great, if not I'll just figure they were busy, on the phone, not friendly, or didn't see me. I like the idea of a wave.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:44 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

I think the reason people expect the Harley dudes to wave at us import sport bikes is because unlike cars where anyone can drive any car be it Mustang,Chevy or Geo for that matter; not everyone can ride a bike. Being a bike rider puts us in a different class. Yes the bikes are different but we are the choosen few who can ride them. Also if any car waves at me(which happens alot, less other Mustangs) I always wave. Shouldnt anyone wave to anyone who waves?

Not a sermon, just a thought. (hear that on on the radio alot around here lol)