Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CONVERTIBLE TOP PROTECTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 01:17 AM
kiedoy

Default CONVERTIBLE TOP PROTECTION

What product should i use to preserve and protect my convertible top.
Any recomendation would be great.

Kiedoy
Old 06-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: CONVERTIBLE TOP PROTECTION

I'm sure you're asking about spays or liquid protectants but the best protection is a good car cover.
I paid just $150 for mine with the mustang pony on the front. It's mainly used for covered parking, but would keep any cats off your vert top! You might want to get the better cover if you plan on using it under the sun.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:45 AM
NewRoushPonyOwner
2nd Gear Member

Orion makes a great point but if you still want more, or if your vert top is black and already faded like mine was I recomend 303 aerospace protectant. It makes it look super dark and glossy and it has the higest UV protection of any of the products. However, if your vehicle isnt covered often it does seem that more dust/pollen will stick to the top. I use it though, and I just ran out actually waiting for shipping... [&:]
Old 06-10-2006, 11:35 AM
cyberjock4hire
1st Gear Member

Give this a read Convertible Top Care
Old 06-10-2006, 12:17 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I'm glad you posted this thread because I've been looking for a product that would offer maximum protection for my vert. I have a strong background in the textile and chemical industry so I'm very much aware of what UV radiation, pollutants such as ozone, acid rain, etc. can do to vinyl. I just bought three 16 oz. spray bottles of the 303 Aerospace Protectant to try out not only on my roof but on the vinyl and leather interior as well. Hey, if it's good enough for Mickey Mouse it's good enough for me (Disney uses it for their inflatable rafts lol). Thanks for the tip an the product and for the initial inquiry.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:50 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Cool, been looking for protectant and don't need cleaner yet. 303 is at my local marina.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Bob D.
2nd Gear Member

I have used 303 for years on exterior vinyl and rubber and IMHO it is in a league of its own. Great UV protection, lasts long, nice, deep gloss but not fake-shiny.

There might be better choices for the interior, though. Products designed specifically for the task will give you the best look and feel and last well. Zymol vinyl and leather treatments are my favorite, but anything w/o formaldehyde or silicone (e.g., stay away from Amour All or most products you can buy at K-Mart) are good.

Just my $.02 as a former detailing and concours geek.[]
Old 06-11-2006, 06:00 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Just got done doing my black convertable top with 303 Protectant and I'm surprised at how well it looks. Deep black and better than new.The lady where I bought if from (local Marina) couldn't say enough good things about the stuff. I guess the cleaner is great also.
Anyone with a vert should try.
JK / WC