MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   New Borlas and Hurst are installed! WOW (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/137969-new-borlas-and-hurst-are-installed-wow.html)

scubadog 06-10-2006 05:00 PM

New Borlas and Hurst are installed! WOW

So on my birthday, I treated myself to the installation of the Borla axel back exhaust and the Hurst Short throw shifter. All I can say is WOW!

The sound of the Borla’s is what a Mustang muscle car should sound like. Amazing, a nice low growl and a nice tone in acceleration and deceleration. IMO the perfect sound.

A few cautions on the installation: It is a two person job, and that makes it easier to line up and not scratch your rear valance in taking the OEMs off and putting the new exhausts on. I would suggest that you cut off ½ inch of the rear hanger on the left side so it will not hit against the body. We could not get it on unless we trimmed the hanger rod. There is still plenty of rod left to hold it in place. The right side was much easier to put on and didn’t need anything cut off.

The Hurst shifter was not hard, it just took some time, the right tools and two people to wiggle the old one out and the new one in. you will need a deep 10mm socket and extension to get to the bracket bolts. The Hurst instructions are clear and easy to follow. Take you time with the rubber boot on re-install to get it seated properly, it will go in as the directions say. The leather? top boot just pops off and on, no problem there.

NOW FOR THE BEST PART! The Hurst shifter is amazing. It should be standard equipment on all GTs. I can not believe the difference. It really helps eliminate most of the jerkyness of the shifting and throttle /clutch process. The throw is 2” shorter, quick and “notched” certain. It is NICE! I got mine from www.atlanticspeed.com for $177.83 to my door. 1-803-548-6990 ($168.88 plus $8.95 shipping ) Part number 3910201 – 2005- 2006 Mustang GT.

IMO, it should be your first mod, it really make a difference in how the car shifts and drives. I feel I now have a Mustang GT that works like it should. There is a bit of old
60’s - 70’s magic seeing that white shifting knob with the black Hurst lettering on the side. Go get yourself a Hurst Shifter, you will not be disappointed at all.

Next up the CAI and a tune, and then I guess the speeding tickets I’m sure will come LOL

[IMG]local://upfiles/38736/003CC1F101D44BA8B47FAB225213EB73.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38736/85219FACD4E14F6ABDDE85D983BC66D2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38736/0063C81ECF4E47A996CBEA7077470CB2.jpg[/IMG]

2006MustangGTNYC 06-10-2006 05:10 PM

RE: New Borlas and Hurst are installed! WOW

I got hte same setup as you.. except mine is the catback system. anyway.. the hurst shifter IS nice... but isn't it a bit tough to shift -vs- the stock??

lmunz22 06-10-2006 05:10 PM

Nice. Any way to get some sound clips?

scubadog 06-10-2006 05:26 PM

I found the shifting easy enough. I expected it to be a bit "notchy", but it is smooth. We lubricated it well before we put it in and I think that has made a difference.

I really shifts like all the Hurst shifters I have used. It will get smoother over time, but I like the feel of it. Compared to the stock? The stock was like a long straw in a milk shake.

SD

scubadog 06-10-2006 05:29 PM

I really don't have a way to get a sound clip on. There are many other posts and sites that had teh sound clips, and that was what I used to make a choice. The sound is SOOOO much better than the clips.

I wish i could get you folks a clip, just don't have the gear.. :-(

SD

CDW63 06-10-2006 05:48 PM

Scubadog,

I am leaning toward the Hurst shifter also, my garage is really big on the steeda tri-ax but I think it is about $100 more. Did you look at any other after market shifters before picking the Hurst?

BoidMorphs 06-10-2006 09:10 PM

Concerning the Hurst vs. other shifters here's a link to an earlier thread. Go to post # 10 and there you have it. It's his opinion of course.
https://mustangforums.com/m_1419542/tm.htm

scubadog 06-10-2006 10:15 PM

I looked around, but I have to admit I went with past experience and the rep of Hurst. The Hurst sticking up out of the center consol with that white knob just capped the retro look for me.

Good luck with which ever one you pick.

SD

silverstang06 06-11-2006 01:28 AM

where did you get that trim for the tail lights?

Rypper1 06-11-2006 09:21 AM

Hey SStang, they always have them on Ebay. Not sure if that is the ones that he has but I have seen them listed on ebay many times.