Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

PCM warranty issue tune problem -Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 09:23 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

Default PCM warranty issue tune problem -Help!

Alright, I have the all dreaded problem... My car went in with a crazy problem where all the dash lights were on all the time.. Not a big issue..
However, the service guys re-flashed the pcm with the updated parameters and got the car running.. upon arival the service guy asked if I had a tune of somesort installed to keep the car from running lean with the JLT intake that I had installed. I said yes. HE said, OK, that explaines the lean issue.. And he asked me to re-install the tune to solve the problem.. I did. Unfortunately as soon as I uploaded the tune, the car would no longer start.. and all kinds of trouble coded were in the PCM. He failed to mention to me that the car had a different tune that he had uploaded from ford, I believe that the SCT tuner had stored the custom tune based on the old factory flash.. and now the trouble coded of p2101 along with others are poping up.. They tell me that the PCM will probably need to be replaced now... NOT under warranty since 'my tune' caused it.
I am frustrated needless to say, and don't want to spend $1000 fixing this out of pocket if i don't have to...
ANy ideas?
Is the PCM really bad?
Do I have only myself to blame?
ANy help would be appreciated!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: PCM warranty issue tune problem -Help!

*hit how many miles do you have on your car? I h ope this doesn't happen to me. I have 29,000 and counting.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:54 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

I use a Predator tuner, but since it works on the same principle as other handheld tuners, then it's possible that these suggestions will work.
If the Evo tune is currently installed in the ECM, then see if you can upload the updated factory tune, which should be stored in the SCT tuner.
If successful, then reinstall the stock air intake, and see if the trouble codes can be removed with the tuner.
If that works, then you should now be able to at least drive the car without a dangerous lean condition until the custom tune issue can be resolved, hopefully with an updated Evo tune that's based on the updated factory tune. Others will have to chime in with their knowledge and experience on the last issue.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:58 AM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

I tried uploading the old tune as well as the evo tune,... nothing will get rid of the problem.. The coed show back up as soon as the key is turned..
Ford service guy tried to upload a new ford tune, but his computer said that it already had the current one, and would not let him update it.. He thinks the PCM is now bad... ARRRG!!
any other ideas anyone?!!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:18 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Does the engine run?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:39 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Sure would think the dealer could wipe it clean and put in theirs, but don't know..
Old 06-12-2006, 03:01 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

No, the engine won't start, and seems that the service guys can't update anything... I'm talking with them today to see if there are any other ideas, But really wanted to be able to go to them with some smart information...

Still looking for anyone's input...
Thanks!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:27 PM
millergt
1st Gear Member

Hum, I'd see (if you have not already) if the service guy will erase everything on the system and then reprogram it with the ford tune. Also an easy thing to try before that is to undo the battery cable for about a minute and turn the key while the battery is not hoooked up(I believe this helps erase some codes) hook it back up and see what happens. If this works lets us know since many of us have re-tuned our cars.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

Okay.. Update.
unplubing batterty did not seem to solve anything...
Service guy said that he was "sick and mad all weekend trying to solve the problem in his head"
I guess I got a good guy...
Anyhow, he found a wasy to trick the diagnostic system in his service computer into thinking that the PCM had no software installed at all...
He then uploaded the newest Ford flash and was able to get it to start up... !! horray!
He said that it still runs really lean with the JLT intake on, and told me to bring my original intake down and re-install it.. I will be doni that.
I called Fred at Evolution and told him problem, and he said that the newest CPU code on the ford flash needs to be recorded and that I need to send him my tuner so he could re-install a fresh set of tunes for the new software now in my car's CPU. So provided that the car actually works properly after I get the factory airbox installed, I should be safe.... (Crossing my fingers).
Thanks for the help guys!
Matt-
Old 06-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 5StangsandCounting

I tried uploading the old tune as well as the evo tune,... nothing will get rid of the problem.. The coed show back up as soon as the key is turned..
Ford service guy tried to upload a new ford tune, but his computer said that it already had the current one, and would not let him update it.. He thinks the PCM is now bad... ARRRG!!
any other ideas anyone?!!
go to a different dealer. Don't pay for 'possible' fixes based on something that will potentially fix your car. If the dealer wants to throw parts at it, they should do it at their own expense.

A PCM is just like a computer, even if the firware/software is f'd up there is usually a fix to give it a clean slate. Not always but usually.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about1306.html

If this information is correct (yes I know it's mazda but PCM and OBDII codes are universal for the most part) then you may have a different problem (malfunctioning relay or something) that was the problem to begin with.