MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   weird problem, 06 GT (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/138243-weird-problem-06-gt.html)

RedGTyl 06-11-2006 07:28 AM

weird problem, 06 GT

[:@] Hey guys I need some help. When I first got my 06 mustang gt I wasnt that good at stick. One day I was getting on to the freeway and decided to hammer it. I got through 1st hit second.. and right about at redline in 2nd I tried to shift in to 3rd... It wouldnt go in...so i pushed harder and it slipped in(i thought it was 3rd) but then i started letting out the clutch and i heard this insane whine and the rpm spiked almost to redline. I was in 1st! and i was going 70!!! luckily i didnt let the clutch out all of the way and slammed it down when I realized what happened. So i shifted into 4th... let a few four letter words out and continued home. Right away I noticed that the car had lost all of its smoothness and there was way more rumble coming form the shifter, the clutch pedal and floor. its smoother at low rpms but once you climb past 3,000 rpm its much louder and it hums through the floor. It's not that pronounced but it is definately a big difference from how it was. It went from feeling brand new to feeling like it has 100,000 miles on it. Also it seems to bog at lower rpms especially when its hot outside. Also it seems to get worse as the tranny heats up to normal operating temperature. anyways The over all performance seems to be less. keep in mind my car has only 1500 miles on it. I was so angry at myself. its been driving me crazy ever since.

The most frustrating part is that Ive taken it to dealership twice and they keep saying "We cannot duplicate the problems stated"..."seems to drive fine." I even went for a drive with the saleman who sold me the car and we drove mine then a brand new unit. He noticed a difference.. especially in the noise of my transmission. The new one is almost was silent in comparison to mine. unfortunately the service department doesnt give a crap about what sales says. I know they would find somethind if they open the tranny up... but they wont do it unless the damn thing drops out of the car. anyways Thankfully I have been become much more proficient at stick since and I am much more careful. Still it is quite embarrassing.

Anyways if anyone could help me figure out what is going on I would really appreciate it. [sm=bangbang.gif]

ski 06-11-2006 10:02 AM

RE: weird problem, 06 GT

Even though Mustang drivetrains are notorious for being noisy, if the salesman also noticed a noise difference between your car's tranny and that in a new car, then something may be amiss. Take it to a different dealer, and see what they say.

WRT the loss of power on hot days, that's normal. Since hot air is less dense than cold air, the former contains less oxygen molecules than the latter, which causes the computer to reduce the amount of fuel fed into the engine. And less fuel per rpm = less power.

ski 06-11-2006 10:02 AM

edit

LEJAY 06-11-2006 10:09 AM

I do hope you didn't repeat what happened to the dealer. The clutch is self adjusting, and no doubt you put some excessive wear on the clutch, but, it should have compensated for that. The whine-hum-vibration may be more pronounced to you, but, obviously it's there.

Go buy a cheap stethoscope. Go the SM, drive a new one, then yours, with the SM listenening to the tranny. He should concur with your concerns, after that.

U R not the 1st guy to power shift 1st, but, one of the few to admit to it. I would think the extreme tork either bent or stretched something.

GOOD LUCK.

scubadog 06-11-2006 10:15 AM

Sounds like the time to see the owner of the dealership and or ask for the area Frod Rep.

Also put you issues in writing in a dated letter, send it receipt requested. You are then building a paper trail. I expect you might not get this resolved at the dealer where you bought the car, but another dealer probably will do better.

We had a S*&t dealer here in our town, then they sold it and the new gruop will do anything to get it right. Point being although they want to rebuild their rep, dealers differ one to another on service issues. The Ford rep sorts that out and can put pressure on any dealer in their area to do the right thing.

Don't make a big deal of missing the shift at redline, just state what it is doing and you want it fixed.

Good luck.

SD

MusiccityGT 06-11-2006 12:52 PM

May have bent a shift fork. The factory shifter has no stops to insure that doesn't happen on a slammed shift. Aftermarkets, at least some such as my Pro 5.0 have adjustable positive stops to keep that from happening.

Bob D. 06-11-2006 05:03 PM

I feel for you brother, and agree with the others that your best bet is to pursue it, with a paper trail and a polite but firm attitude, through the Ford food chain. Obviously, don't volunteer anything about missing a shift, which may or may not have caused the problem.

This might be closing the barn door after the cows have left, but FWIW I have used these techniques for years in a variety of cars and found it is impossible to screw up a shift: http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

Good luck. :)

RedGTyl 06-11-2006 05:06 PM

Yeah, I will take it to another dealer. The salesman had a good point about the whole situation. He said that if I did not have a warrenty they would have my car apart in heart beat. But since I do. They aren't making money on me. So it's going to take alot more for them to want to fix my car. Anyways, Thank you guys for the suggestions!

May have bent a shift fork. The factory shifter has no stops to insure that doesn't happen on a slammed shift. Aftermarkets, at least some such as my Pro 5.0 have adjustable positive stops to keep that from happening.
how much does a Pro 5.0 cost?

Red_Stallion 06-11-2006 05:34 PM

Dealerships love warranty work cause they get to bill Ford for the work.

dpunk 10-10-2006 12:56 PM

Your problem sounds like it is related to over revving the engine when you missed the shift. Just a wild guess, but sounds like a bent valve (intake or exhaust) in one of the cylinders. When cold/cool there is enough clearance between the valve guide and valve stem to allow the valve to close, but when warm the valve sticks open slightly causing a miss and loss of power. You can run a compression check on all cylinders for confirmation of an engine problem. You should take it in and fess up on the missed shift. It probably won't be covered under warranty, but they may be able to fix the problem before it gets more severe and causes more engine damage.