Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold are intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 02:02 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default Cold are intake

It's the new kid again. Let me remind everyone that I am new to the Mustang GT and forums in general. Had my car for about 6 months or so. My question is this.

If I purchase a cold air intake system, is it as simple as buying one and getting someone to install? I am worried that since I am new to Mustangs I will order one and then find out that oh yeah, you need this, and this and one of those thingys to make it work, then after that you need to have your car readusted so the computer doesnt get mixed up...what ever, you get the point..

I just hope I can order one, have a shop hook it up and drive off with no problems. Is that how it works or am I in for a big shock once I get one. I also know there are many kinds out there but in general on the low and high end how much power will I gain with the set up I have outlined above? Also do you loose gas mileage?

I know to those of you who are experts in all tunning these questions may seem silly or even dumb but I do appreciate your thoughts and feedback, good or bad. 06gt...
Old 06-10-2006, 02:19 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cold are intake

Believe me, I'm no mechanic and I did my own install. My mission statement is, "when all else fails, read the directions!" There's no way you should need anyone to install a CAI for you. My K&N was a piece of cake to put in. Contrary to what K&N says, you WILL need a tune after making the change. I think they snag more buyers due to their claim of not needing one because nobody wants to spring for the added cost of buying a tuner. I was very disappointed in the performance after I did the install. My GT ran like crap right up until the tune. After that the difference was night and day. Just set aside some time and do it yourself but be ready to have your car tuned also or running to lean can fry your engine.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:30 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

+1.

Do the install yourself. Very simple installation. Trust us. That being said, spring for the tuner with tunes at the same time. Needs to be done with the CAI. Besides that, once you discover how the CAI and tune wake up the sleeping pony, you will be doing mod after mod, and will probably need the tuner going forward. Plus, you may also want to use it to read error codes that can crop up.

Best of Luck,
Mike
Old 06-11-2006, 12:18 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Ok guys, I get your point. Real shaky about trying it myself since I have no idea what's involved until I open it and read but I guess I can try. I know this is a stupid question and I'm sorry but what do you guys mean by getting it tuned?Tune up?) What happens to your car after the install that causes the need for this? Is that also somethin I can do myself or does it need to go to a shop? Also what kinda of shop does that? A speed performance shop or should I just take it to the dealer. What should I look to spend for this "tune"give or take. Thanks alot guys!! both of you!! (first 2 to reply)
Old 06-11-2006, 12:54 AM
bc

I'd like to ask a question regarding this also since I'm thinking of doing the CAI and Tune. I've read lots of info here about this but I'm still a little unclear about the general consensus as far as what do when you bring your car to the dealer for service. Do most people recommend flashing back to the factory settings and re-installing their stock air supply and filter so the dealer won't know you've done a mod?
Old 06-11-2006, 05:11 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

Ok guys, I get your point. Real shaky about trying it myself since I have no idea what's involved until I open it and read but I guess I can try. I know this is a stupid question and I'm sorry but what do you guys mean by getting it tuned?Tune up?) What happens to your car after the install that causes the need for this? Is that also somethin I can do myself or does it need to go to a shop? Also what kinda of shop does that? A speed performance shop or should I just take it to the dealer. What should I look to spend for this "tune"give or take. Thanks alot guys!! both of you!! (first 2 to reply)
What they're talking about is getting a flash tuner (Diablosport Predator or SCT) that has a tune (think of it as a software upgrade for the cars computer) specific to your cold air intake you purchase. This is a necessary item when installing a CAI. Without it your car's air to fuel ratio will be lean and cause the computer to throw the check engine light. It's very simple to do. When first hooked up to your car (through the OBDII port under the dash on drivers side) it will back up your cars original tune. Then it will allow you to install the tune for your CAI. You can also choose which tune to use for whatever octane fuel you prefer to use (87, 91, 93.) It will run you between $300 and $400 for this. Keep in mind this will tweak other things as well that will gain you HP. I too had never installed a CAI and tune before. It was pretty simple and i don't regret it. I just followed the directions which were very simple. Once it's on and you drive it you'll notice the power gain and how more aggressive it sounds.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:21 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bc

I'd like to ask a question regarding this also since I'm thinking of doing the CAI and Tune. I've read lots of info here about this but I'm still a little unclear about the general consensus as far as what do when you bring your car to the dealer for service. Do most people recommend flashing back to the factory settings and re-installing their stock air supply and filter so the dealer won't know you've done a mod?
A lot of people do that. There's been no real answer to this. More than likely for your regular oil changes and such it wouldn't be an issue. If warranty work is needed it could be an issue. It's really up to the dealership on how this will be handled. If you don't mind doing it and don't think it's a hassle then it's a safe way of avoiding problems. I on the other hand have faith in my stang and i have no intentions of removing my CAI and tune. But that's just me! It's too bad these aren't standard from the factory! It's such a great add on!
Old 06-11-2006, 05:33 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shockme76
[A lot of people do that. There's been no real answer to this. More than likely for your regular oil changes and such it wouldn't be an issue. If warranty work is needed it could be an issue. It's really up to the dealership on how this will be handled. If you don't mind doing it and don't think it's a hassle then it's a safe way of avoiding problems. I on the other hand have faith in my stang and i have no intentions of removing my CAI and tune. But that's just me! It's too bad these aren't standard from the factory! It's such a great add on!
How much of a difference do CAIs make?

I'm thinking about getting a supercharger or turbo setup when my warranty runs out. Not sure if messing around with a CAI is worth it before then. And I don't want any warranty issues if something arises.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:02 AM
GtStangFGCU

So if i go to service my stang for an oil change, could the dealer void my warranty for having the CAI and tuner?
Old 06-11-2006, 08:11 AM
drf
1st Gear Member

Hey, I did all of the below mods to my '05 GT my self.

I'm about as nervous as they get when working on my car my self and I sure ain't no mechanic - I'm a computer networking type!!!!!

ALL mods went on very easy and gave me a real boost in confidence in my abilities.

Do it!!!!!

Quick Reply: Cold are intake