Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tried to get ripped off on buying a GT by a dealer/terrible experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:41 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tried to get ripped off on buying a GT by a dealer/terrible experience

I ordered my car and had to wait 2.5 months before it came in. At the time I ordered it I had to sign a disclosure agreement that stated the dealer could not guarantee the price would be the same upon delivery as it was when I ordered the car. When I went to pick it up I was expecting the salesman to tell me the price had increased and blah blah blah. The exact opposite happened. I was prepared to pay a given price and they REDUCED it by $1,500. Needless to say, they earned my respect and repeat business when it's time for a new toy.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tried to get ripped off on buying a GT by a dealer/terrible experience

Very simply, it sounds like that dealer has 40+ cars for a reason. Nobody likes to buy from liars!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:15 PM
acsteele
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, who is the BS aimed at?

I am not kidding about the X-Plan pricing. You will have to order, (unless they have your color on the lot) and with the lower margins, they won't fool with a trade in.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acsteele

Hey guys, who is the BS aimed at?

I am not kidding about the X-Plan pricing. You will have to order, (unless they have your color on the lot) and with the lower margins, they won't fool with a trade in.
Do you work for this dealership? So if I understand you correctly your saying this dealer will order a 2007 mustang GT Premium with options and sale it at X-plan price? What type of allocation do they have? How long do they think it would "really" take to get one in after ordering? I may be interested and willing to travel from New Hampshire, all depends on what dealers around here are willing to do.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:08 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Try contacting the same dealer (if you see a car you want there) through the internet. I have had very positive experiences buying cars through the 'net. It's different sales staff that operate the internet sales, and usually they have a much lower price that they work from. Go through forddirect.com, build the car you want and submit it to that dealership and others in your area. In the notes column tell them you are a serious buyer and that you WILL be buying the car from the dealership that gives you the best price. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

BTW, it would be crazy for Ford to mark up 2006's by 1000 bucks when the '07's are coming out this month. If anything they'll be wanting to clear out the 06's. The salesman was BS'ing you on that one I do believe.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:16 AM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

We got our Legend Lime GT Premium conv-auto shaker-1000, plus 18-inch wheels, with tax, license, alarm, and all fees for less than the window sticker...and there were only 4 Legend Lime GT convertables in the entire state!
Sounds like Stevenson went to a POWER dealership!
We went to a Power dealership in our area first, and 30 minutes later, we walked out, promising ourselves that we wouldn't buy icecubes from that dealership, even if it were located in H@LL!
CB
Old 06-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

Around here if anything there is a glut of 5 speed GT's kicking around. Auto's are the ones they're having a hard time keeping in stock.

Anyways sounds like complete bunk to me. They may have known you wanted the auto and were just trying to overly pigeon hole you into one of the ones they had. Time to shop elsewhere methinks. My dealer wouldn't move much on the price (did save about $900cdn in the end) but they brought this car from about 4 hours away so they ate transport costs and had to sweeten the deal with that other dealer too so I don't mind. They at least didn't try any straight up swindle like it sounds like the dealer in question is attempting.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:03 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

That sounds like planet ford in houston those guys are idiotic bastards!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stevenson

Hello everyone, I'm a new poster but a long time reader. I just wanted to share my experience. On 06/10/06 at a local Ford dealer(name kept private), I attempted to trade my wife's car for a GT premium(auto) with most of the popular options. I've been tracking the prices of the new Mustangs since they have came out. Some areas of the country they are selling better that other places. I also know for a fact that I am dead even on my trade so I had no negative equity. Anyways, this dealer told me that I was 2K upside down on my trade and that all they could discount the GT was 1100 off sticker. Now, this dealer's lot is loaded with GTs and 6 cylinders. They have at least 40 in stock according to Ford's website and I took an approximate inventory while I was there. They are flat out not selling in my area like they were when they first came out. This manager I was working with had the nerve to tell me that Ford has mandated a $1,000 markup on the 2006 model 5 speed GT's. The funny thing is that this particular dealer ran an ad in the local paper this weekend discounting a deluxe GT with no options about $2400 off sticker. Why would he tell me he must markup all his 5 speed GTs $1000 over sticker but yet they advertise one for $2400 off sticker. Man did I ever run for the door. Lastly, the GT auto I was wanting to buy had been on the lot for months. I live close to the dealer so I see the inventory daily. I can't believe I was treated that way especially considering their inventory and that the 07's will be out soon. Has anyone heard of the mandatory $1000 markup on 5 speeds or was he just lying about it???
The only thing that I know which is relative to the $1000 "markup" on the 2006 Mustang 5-speed GTs is not a "markup" at all, but an exclusion of a rebate offer.

Let me explain: I've been getting the "My Ford" magazine for the past 2 years (after I bought my '04 F-150) and with the latest issue, I received a "coupon" that was good for $1000 off of any new Ford vehicle. At first I was thinking "Great, a month after I bought my '06 Mustang." But then when I read the small print, it states the $1000 refund is not good for the Ford GT, Mustang GTs with the manual transmission, and another vehicle was listed as well (don't recall which one, I think one of the trucks).

So the offer is not applicable for '06 5-speed Mustang GTs, but it doesn't mean a "mark-up" of $1000 on them. I think the dealer was full of it.

Quick Reply: Tried to get ripped off on buying a GT by a dealer/terrible experience