Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tried to get ripped off on buying a GT by a dealer/terrible experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 07:36 PM
stevenson

Default Tried to get ripped off on buying a GT by a dealer/terrible experience

Hello everyone, I'm a new poster but a long time reader. I just wanted to share my experience. On 06/10/06 at a local Ford dealer(name kept private), I attempted to trade my wife's car for a GT premium(auto) with most of the popular options. I've been tracking the prices of the new Mustangs since they have came out. Some areas of the country they are selling better that other places. I also know for a fact that I am dead even on my trade so I had no negative equity. Anyways, this dealer told me that I was 2K upside down on my trade and that all they could discount the GT was 1100 off sticker. Now, this dealer's lot is loaded with GTs and 6 cylinders. They have at least 40 in stock according to Ford's website and I took an approximate inventory while I was there. They are flat out not selling in my area like they were when they first came out. This manager I was working with had the nerve to tell me that Ford has mandated a $1,000 markup on the 2006 model 5 speed GT's. The funny thing is that this particular dealer ran an ad in the local paper this weekend discounting a deluxe GT with no options about $2400 off sticker. Why would he tell me he must markup all his 5 speed GTs $1000 over sticker but yet they advertise one for $2400 off sticker. Man did I ever run for the door. Lastly, the GT auto I was wanting to buy had been on the lot for months. I live close to the dealer so I see the inventory daily. I can't believe I was treated that way especially considering their inventory and that the 07's will be out soon. Has anyone heard of the mandatory $1000 markup on 5 speeds or was he just lying about it???
Old 06-11-2006, 07:55 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tried to get ripped off on buying a GT by a dealer/terrible experience

Sounds like a bunch of typical dealer salesmanship crap. Where are you at anyway? Great dealer here in the Nashville area with good deals.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:57 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tried to get ripped off on buying a GT by a dealer/terrible experience

I wonder if that dealer also has a lousy service dept.? Sounds like it's time to look for another one.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:21 PM
marguerite66
4th Gear Member

stevenson,

I think they are lying to you. I never heard of a 'mandatory markup'. Dealers will lie to you. When I bought mine, one dealer wanted to sell me a blue 06 GT that they had on their lot but I wanted the Legend Lime. He told me there were none available in the whole country. I went to another dealer and they located me one less than 200 miles away. Dealers know there is a big demand for the Mustangs so they use it to their advantage. If you really want to get him, ask him to show you something in writing from Ford about this so called markup.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Mandatory mark up!!
LOL, that's the stupidest thing I've heard.

Go deliver a pint of your **** to that sales manger with the word OFF written on the bottle.

I can't believe you even believe him.
MSRP is set for a reason, mark up are purely dealer addons to make more money.

Go to another dealer, and call ahead, ask for the sales or fleet manager. Don't even waste your
time with loser salespeople.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:34 PM
acsteele
1st Gear Member

If you are willing to travel to Kansas, and not fool with a trade in, my dealer will order whatever you want, V6,GT, Auto or 5speed. And I'll get you a PIN # for X-Plan pricing.

They would rather sell a larger number with a lower mark-up, than have a sh**load on the lot like the huge dealers.(they have to pay finance charges on all of those unsold units, by the way. Kind of cuts into profits)
Old 06-11-2006, 09:37 PM
stevenson

Hey MusicCityGT, I am in the South so Nashville isn't far away. I will look at the area dealership inventories there. Thanks.
About the mandatory markup, I didn't believe them at all. I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard such a line.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

I think it honestly helped buying my 06 in a rural area where the market isn't huge for them (at least it wasn't when I bought mine) I paid MSRP on a 06 GT premium 1UP.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:57 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Thats BS. What area are you in?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:24 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

BS. Most dealers around here wanted 2-3K over sticker for stick gt cars. No one would budge. I found one dealer out in a rural area that told me MSRP on a car he had coming in. I used that as leverage and one local dealer went 1K under MSRP with a little haggling on a black on black car. I told him I wanted blue with graphite leather and he simply couldent get the car he claimed. He used up all his allocations supposidly.

I ended up paying 1000 under after finding the car I wanted about 1.5 hours or so away from me. Never trust ads that seem to good to be true. My ploy a month ago was that the 07s are coming in 8 weeks. I am not paying MSRP or above for a car that is technically going to be a leftover soon.

If you want a mustang GT at under MSRP you have to call alot of dealers, especially those far away. Know exactly what you want. Tel them, this is what I want, this is what I want to pay. I can come down tommorow if you can do this. I even had a blank check in my hands from costco auto loans. So they knew I was serious. They ended up beating the rate by a 1/4 point too because they make on the financing as well if they do it through the dealer.
Good luck

But with a trade it is going to be even more difficult. I would sell it privatly.

Quick Reply: Tried to get ripped off on buying a GT by a dealer/terrible experience