Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who here has successfully reduced exhaust drone with sound deadener?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:46 AM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Default Who here has successfully reduced exhaust drone with sound deadener?

In searching the forum, I have heard mixed responses regarding the use of sound deadeners to reduce exhaust drone.

Some people say it works like a charm and reduces the exhaust drone to a livable level, while I have heard from others that it didn't change the exhaust drone much at all.

Before spending the money, I am really interested in getting a definitive answer on how this can yield results.

If you installed an aftermarket exhaust that droned quite a bit (Borla, Bassani, etc), and then were able to at least reduce the drone, could you please reply to this thread with the exhaust you installed, the specific sound deadening product you used (Dynamat, Fatmat), how much of it you used, and exactly where and how you installed it?

I suppose it would also be helpful to hear from people who did the same, but were not able to reduce the drone (maybe we can learn what product or method of application to stay away from).

Old 06-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Who here has successfully reduced exhaust drone with sound deadener?

I did. It was expensive, but it worked. Corsa makes it. It's their axel-back system!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:01 AM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Who here has successfully reduced exhaust drone with sound deadener?

I know, I have heard that Corsa exhausts have no drone...

I wanted to get Corsa at first for this very reason, but I had a hard time finding any sound clips (not a problem with the proud Borla and Bassani owners), and the few that I did hear (from the Corsa website and some other one) didn't impress me at all...I like the deep growl of the Borla/Bassani type exhaust and it seems like if you want that type of sound, you are going to get some drone.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

friend couldn stand the bassani xpipe and axle-back setup. he put in some dynamat and now its perfect in his own words
Old 06-12-2006, 01:33 AM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

friend couldn stand the bassani xpipe and axle-back setup. he put in some dynamat and now its perfect in his own words

Any idea on the details of his installation? Sounds like it works for some and not for others, so I am trying to exactly emulate one of the success stories.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:34 AM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

+1 on Corsa. Sound great and NO Drone!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:41 AM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Okay, Corsa owners! No more thread hijacking, I am glad you love your exhaust, but let's not turn this into a Corsa vs others debate.

There are a lot of people on this board who would take the sound of their droning exhaust over a Corsa anyday (personally wasn't impressed with the two sound clips I have heard). I was hoping this thread might help people achieve the best of both worlds...
Old 06-12-2006, 01:46 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I have very extensive sound deadening in my car, and it did not affect the sound of the exhaust very much at all. It cost me $300 in materials and about 15 hours of labor. I did the labor all myself, but figure that into your plans.

If anything, the exhaust seems LOUDER after the treatment, becasue the road noise was quieted down so much that the exhaust stood out more.

The problem is that exhaust drone is at too low of a frequency for most sound deadening treatments to be effective. Foams, sheets, and spray-on coatings aren't very effective at low-frequency blocking or absorbtion. For more information read "The Master Handbook of Acoustics" by Everest.

If you do have a drone problem, resonators added to your exhaust will kill the drone. My car has headers, highflow cats, X-pipe, and Borla stingers and has no appreciable drone, thanks to resonators. They are also cheaper and easier to install than a good deadening treatment anyway.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:49 AM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

I would not buy an exhaust by a sound clip on the computer. Most of the recordings can't reproduce the base/rumble that any exhaust produces. Check out some car clubs and listen to them on the car is the best way. Exhaust sound is a personal preferance and I wasn't trying to force Corsa on anyone or hyjack your thread.
Greg
Old 06-12-2006, 01:53 AM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

I was! no, kidding, kidding, kidding.

What I meant about Corsa was that if you really are trying for the best of both worlds, why would you want to cover up the sound by putting in deadening. Why wouldnt you try to get an exhaust that sounds great AND has no drone. Now, I am not saying Corsa is the only one. CrazyAL has a great suggestion with resonators. They aren;t everyone's cup of tea, but like he said, deadening probably isnt going to solve an exhaust noise issue.

Quick Reply: Who here has successfully reduced exhaust drone with sound deadener?