Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Heat in the Cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Karalm

Default Heat in the Cockpit

Has anyone noticed that the area just under the dash on the driver’s side emanates a lot of heat even though no heater is on? (After warm up and driving for awhile). I have noticed this on my 06' GT Vert that this happens and maybe is more noticeable due to temp. difference w/ the top down but also wonder how the coupe guys deal w/ it since no top down or alot of you drive with both windows open alot. Is this normal for the bigger engine, lack of insulation or bubble up latent heat pushed back against the engine compartment firewall which finds its way through the dash/brake throttle area? Seems high but maybe..............your thoughts appreciated.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:47 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Heat in the Cockpit

I have an 06 Gt Vert also, and I know exactly what your talking about. My car was getting serviced one day and I asked them about it. The guy told me their is no insulation anywhere in or around the dash becuase ford was trying to reduce weight and save money. I think that's pretty dumb expecially because when the sun beats down on my black dash all day my A/C is pretty much useless, and it takes forever to just cool the air ducts down not to mention the cabin itslef.

Basically what I do Is just keep the A/C on the feet option also and usually after a couple of minutes I can freeze my feet out, and that heat doesn't come back.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:04 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

If you look how close your cats. are to your feet and the trans. well that why your feet get so hot.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:38 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

I've definitely noticed it with my coupe, but then again we are sitting on a 281ci gasoline heater...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Karalm

Do any gearheads have suggestions for a quick insulation fix on this or do we just "soak it up"?
Old 06-13-2006, 12:56 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I noticed the same thing. What I found was even though the fan and heater were set to the off position, keeping the middle dial in the middle still allowed heat to be on. If you don't already have it set this way, try keeping the middle control **** all the way to the left and you might see a big difference.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:07 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

My 85 will blow hot air out of the vents if Im really gettin on it. Its normal operation for the car to try to get rid of the heat created. Basically using the heater core as a secondary radiator. Which really kinda sux, since I removed the A/C. Mine only does that when Im REALLY gettin on it. Other than that you gotta realize right under your feet is the exhaust, next to it is the motor/trans, all of which produce A LOT of heat, and well the cats are all right there as well, which probably produce the most heat. Im sure its just normal.
-P.
PS: Just run your A/C on max with recirculate on, I guarantee itll get cold pretty fast.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Karalm

Do any gearheads have suggestions for a quick insulation fix on this or do we just "soak it up"?
Yep. At least thats how I see it. Although this is the nicest car I've owned its a mustang not a cadillac.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:09 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

ORIGINAL: Karalm

Yep. At least thats how I see it. Although this is the nicest car I've owned its a mustang not a cadillac.
It brings back memories of my 68 Roadrunner -> a lot of bang for the buck, but not exactly a silk purse.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

It doesnt really bother me......If I wanted the quality of a mercedes I would have boughten that. But I wanted a hardcore American muscle car.......so It's all good to me !!