Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Hurst shifter available for GT...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default New Hurst shifter available for GT...

I just ran across these at Jegs. I was close to ordering a Hurst shifter for my '07 off of eBay, but I had read that Hurst would be coming out with a new shifter that has built-in stops. It doesn't mention if these noew ones on Jegs have stops or not, but if you look at 530-391-5201 and 530-391-5074 they look much more substantial than the older shifter they've been selling. I've attached pics of the old shifter and two new ones below. You can see the new ones here:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=15105

I have a question though, one shifter is listed as "2005-06 Mustang GT" and the other as "2005-06 Mustang GT with Tremec TKO". Don't all GTs get the same tranny? Is this maybe a typo and one shifter is for the V6 while the other is for the GT?

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/C06CD8BB9A824853871E832F74EBC152.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/D2B84F58976747DCA1992831A412572D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/5F78308A6DDB4553BDE6E87C4534F9FA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New Hurst shifter available for GT...

OK, I think I figured it out. I found this page on the Mr. Gasket web site:

http://go.mrgasket.com/newproducts/flyers/NPHurst.pdf

Apparently the old shifter (the "Competition Plus") will still be available. The new billet shifter is called the "Billet Comp/ Plus" and it DOES have the adjustable stops. The 3rd shifter (the really beefy looking one) is also a "Billet Comp/ Plus" and is specifically for racing Mustangs that have been fitted with the Tremec TKO tranny.

I had read that bent shifter forks are a possible issue on GTs due to the lack of shifter stops, so the new Billet Comp/ Plus sounds like the shifter to get. Sound right?
Old 06-13-2006, 02:11 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Yes, you are correct the bottom shifter is for a car with an aftermarket TKO trans. I would go with the newer billet shifter if you want the looks of the Hurst, it is much beefier and the stops will keep you from bending shift forks in the trans when shifting hard. Bent shift forks have been common in Mustangs since the fox bodies.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:36 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I guess bent forks are possible. But I wouldent say that the stock shifter doesent have a positive stop feel to it. I dont feel any deflection at the stops. And I have thrown that shifter hard for a couple weeks now. I have driven much, much worse.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

i like my competition plus shifter. it was 160something installed, and the improvement was dramatic. how much better could this new "billet" shifter be anyway?
Old 06-13-2006, 05:53 PM
scubadog
I ♥ Acer

I agree, I just put in the Hurst shifter that is pictured on top, and it seems to be tough and what a difference!

I don't dricvew the car that hard, agressive but not very hard, so I guess I'm fine with what I have.

SD
Old 06-13-2006, 06:58 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

There was a thread recently where someone had ordered the new Hurst shifter you have pictured and someone replied that if the stops aren't adjusted properly it can actually cause more harm than good. I'll try and locate that thread later on when I get a chance. Anyway, the person that had ordered the new style Hurst canceled the order immediately and went with the old one. Whatever the reason was it must have been pretty convincing LOL.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

The stops in the new shifter are only another fail-safe along the lines that the PRO5.0 has as well. But the tranny already has internal stops to prevent forks from bending, due to the "remote" location of the shifter. (mounted to body instead of trans).
Old 06-15-2006, 12:46 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

LOL! It seems like there's no definitive answer on any Mustang mod, you have to read through everyone's comments and decide what to do But that's what makes these forums so great! Thanks for the feedback, and BoidMorphs, if you can find that link please do post it. I did some searches on Hurst shifters here, but didn't find any threads about the new version shifter. My '07 won't be here for around 6 weeks, so I've got plenty of time before needing to order the shifter
Old 06-15-2006, 01:07 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I tried finding it page by page because it was only posted a few weeks ago but I couldn't find it. Scooter80 pretty much nailed what was said though. The transmission already has stops in it so having them on the shifter is a failsafe mechanism. What I remember from the other thread went a step furthur to say if the secondary stops aren't adjusted correctly it could cause more harm than good (gears not engaging properly). The new unit does look much beefier but it's also much higher in price. It may just be a marketing ploy to compete with their higher end billet competition by having similar features and appearance.

Quick Reply: New Hurst shifter available for GT...