Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rocking Horse Action

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:10 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Default Rocking Horse Action

I'm sure everyone's experienced their car sit back when accelerating hard and then dive forwards in between shifts only to sit back again when the next speed is engaged. Sort of a rocking horse type action under hard acceleration. I know it's normal weight transfer but I'd like to know how to minimize this. What mods can I do to make the car stay as level as possible when getting on it? I doubt there is no one miracle cure, rather a slew of changes to make, but I'd appreciate those mods listed that will be most cost effective to cure this malady. Any recommendations as to brand or product source would be very helpful. I want a stiff pony! Somehow that doesn't sound right lol.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:23 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rocking Horse Action

The single best thing to do is upgrade the shocks. Tokico D-specs would be ideal, especially if keeping the stock springs, 'cos I think it's far better to have more spring than shock. The Dspecs will allow you to tune the damping to suit the springs for daily use, then you can adjust them up for launch control. Springs are the next best option. Any lowering spring out there will reduce the rocking motion a great deal. However, shocks and spring together are the closest thing to a miracle cure. I have the Eibach Pro-System with Pro-Kit springs and their dampers and the rocking motion is probably still there, but I can't tell. D-specs would be even better. The end-all would be Tein Flex coilovers, or any of the other coilover systems out there.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:35 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I hated that feeling. Simple fix, well at least a ton better was some Roush rear springs. Quick, easy, and fairly cheap mod.
rear sits about 1/4 inch higher than the front, much better stance and less wheel well gap in the rear also.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:07 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Well, those changes don't sound to expensive but make sense. This car has so much potential when modded. To bad it doesn't come stock with better equipment but I know the cost would just end up higher. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

off topic, but according to ur sig you have a pro 5.0 AND a hurst???
Old 06-14-2006, 04:32 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Correct. I bought the Pro 5.0 4.10 8.8" gears on eBay for $115 from a guy that never installed them on his '88 Mustang. Install was only $150. Most people don't realize Pro50.com makes gears and other things besides shifters. Here's a link to the gears: http://www.pro50shifters.meridian1.net/default.asp?S=E3&Document=8.8+rear+end+GEARS+NEW+! +3%3A90&NID=2884325
Old 06-14-2006, 08:06 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

From what I have heard, the lowering springs for the rear reduce that drasticly. I think the front sits pretty nice on these cars.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:20 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

I'm sure everyone's experienced their car sit back when accelerating hard and then dive forwards in between shifts only to sit back again when the next speed is engaged. Sort of a rocking horse type action under hard acceleration. I know it's normal weight transfer but I'd like to know how to minimize this. What mods can I do to make the car stay as level as possible when getting on it? I doubt there is no one miracle cure, rather a slew of changes to make, but I'd appreciate those mods listed that will be most cost effective to cure this malady. Any recommendations as to brand or product source would be very helpful. I want a stiff pony! Somehow that doesn't sound right lol.
I thought this was going to be about somethin else... then in the last moment you didnt let me down...